Weathersealing question.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ant, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

Following the leak of the upcoming Nikon D200 it has been said that this camera will be weathersealed. This makes it a very attractive upgrade from my D70 for me, as I've missed a few shots due to inclement weather and not wanting to get my camera wet.

However, one thing puzzles me: Whilst buying lenses I've not seen any mention of weathersealing on them or not, and just a quick look at my lenses would lead me to believe that they aren't. So what's the point of a weathersealed camera if the lenses aren't? Or am I missing something here?

2. alexecho

alexecho TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I figured that the idea would be that you'd have to buy new weathersealed lenses too?
    Good question.

3. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

I suspect that Nikon, like Canon, has a limited selection of weathersealed lenses and you'll have to use one (or more!) of those to obtain a weathersealed camera system.

4. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a plastic bag over the lens and camera with a UV filter sticking out of a hole in the bag. A rubber band around the end of the lens helps keep the moisture out of that end. Even with this protection, I welcome the D1X's weather sealing to help protect my investment. In high humidity or light sprinkles I don't bother with the bag and use my body to shield the camera. Never had any issues with any of my Nikon's using these techniques.