Wedding Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the flash, it would be nice if they had something to diffuse it, a FONG diffuser, or at least a Sto-fen would be nice.

I can foresee an issue with focus if they were to pick up a prime (like the f/1.8)on the day of the event. It will probably take some practice to nail the focus and DOF. Most people who grab one just set it wide open and then shoot with just a narrow DOF, they miss and get soft shots.

I can foresee an issue with focus if they were to pick up a prime (like the f/1.8)on the day of the event. It will probably take some practice to nail the focus and DOF. Most people who grab one just set it wide open and then shoot with just a narrow DOF, they miss and get soft shots.
you mean shooting wide open with a "cool" lens won't give you BEST pictures? and I thought everything was about equipment :D

WELL, that depends on who you are.

I would be willing to bet you could find a couple people who love shooting wide open, at just about everything :lol:

Equipment does have alot to do with it. That shallow DOF does have it's uses though, in the right hands.

WELL, that depends on who you are.

I would be willing to bet you could find a couple people who love shooting wide open, at just about everything :lol:
funny you mentioned about shooting open, I was just thinking about those TEACH-ME-THREADS you posted and wish more ppl read them :)

RE: all your comments....
I take on board what you all say, I do not know my camera inside out, I've not long had the camera, I've use a Panasonic DMC FZ30 for over 4 years, and used is mostly on Auto.
I am an amature, who likes taking pictures, I go on walks, camping and holidays, and love taking pictures.
My neice asked me to do her wedding to keep the cost down, I know i'm not experienced enough to do the wedding.
I have been experimenting with the manual and iso setting to understand the camera better.
The reason i've joined the forum is to have a better knowledge of the camera and taking better picture, with advice from the many experienced photographers in the forum.

Just to give you some idea...

Some recent shots I did of a dance performance in a school (also crappy lighting).

1/90th - 1/120th shutter speed
1600 ISO
f/2.8 - f/4 aperture

by now u already read my PM, i hope...
just be careful shooting it. yes you want to do good and better for them but lacking wedding shooting experience and lacking camera knowledge, be careful not to cause more HELL in the family.

Nikon D90 with the 18.105mm f/3.5-5.6G
Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash

I was asked to do my Niece's Wedding day. This will be my first wedding and I am not looking forward to it really, My main concern is taking photo's in the church with no flash, need help with the settings.

If you really don't want to do it my best advice is don't. If you screw it up she'll hate you forever. As a wedding present you could hire a professional. This way she'll get good pictures and you can enjoy the wedding.

The better faster lens and a bigger sensor on the camera will help. But since this is your first if you have time go to the church and shoot...a lot...try a tri-pod if desperate for the ceremony...and see if they can bump the light a bit.

It would cost me an arm an a leg to hire a photographer, I don't have a problem taking the pictures before and after the church, cos I can check the pictures on the LCD screen and retake if necessary. As for inside the church you only have one go, i'm hoping to go to the church the day before, so i'll be able to check the light levels.

Better yet is to check out the church 2 weeks in advance and have a couple people with you, you can use as subjects so you can make test images.

You do have a D90 so you probably can shoot at 3200 ISO without too much problem, the photo will be noisy but it's probably better than most camera at 1600 ISO. I know I don't have any problem printing 1600 ISO file on a Nikon D40. But do make sure to check out the church before the wedding date to get an idea of what kind of setting you will be using. Some church are actually well lit with fluorescent lighting :) Now, once church is over and you can can use your flash, knowing your camera and your flash can get you far with your current set up. I've shot my first wedding last weekend with a D40 and a kit lens and an sb-600 and this is what I got at the reception. Won't win any photography contest but the couple were happy with them.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/192869-winter-wedding.html

Go to the wedding rehearsal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back