Well Then, Shall We Just Let the Blind Lead the Blind?

Kundalini,
Your original post and its exact, intended meaning is a bit unclear to me. Honestly, your exact point of view is not coming through clearly. Are you suggesting that more experienced posters LET the "blind lead the blind"? It seems that you are suggesting or hinting that it might be a good idea for the blind to lead the blind, at one level, and at another level, you say you are answering the question with another question, which is, why would you take advice from a person who knows only a little bit more than you? So, pardon my honest confusion...I'm not really clear about what your point of view is. Ogthers are commenting in this thread about posting images in the beginner's forum, which some have taken to calling "the dumping ground"...again...I am not quite sure what it is you wish to accomplish with this post. The OP just doesn't seem to be clearly articulating a specific point that we can discuss. The manner in which your post is written seems somewhat confusing to me. It seems as if it could be interpreted in two wildly different, disparate ways!!!

Certainly not out of disparation Derrel, but most certainly out of frustration.

Are we going to watch a Journey vid now?

for the Pop scene......

for those with a soul......

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask questions. For non-tech posts (the tech versus art discussion has been ongoing). Respond to subjective (vague) C&C requests by asking questions of the OP. Based on a supposition that the OP already has the answers inside them and is trying to connect with themselves by requesting others try to thought read.

Kundalini,
Your original post and its exact, intended meaning is a bit unclear to me. Honestly, your exact point of view is not coming through clearly. Are you suggesting that more experienced posters LET the "blind lead the blind"? It seems that you are suggesting or hinting that it might be a good idea for the blind to lead the blind, at one level, and at another level, you say you are answering the question with another question, which is, why would you take advice from a person who knows only a little bit more than you? So, pardon my honest confusion...I'm not really clear about what your point of view is. Ogthers are commenting in this thread about posting images in the beginner's forum, which some have taken to calling "the dumping ground"...again...I am not quite sure what it is you wish to accomplish with this post. The OP just doesn't seem to be clearly articulating a specific point that we can discuss. The manner in which your post is written seems somewhat confusing to me. It seems as if it could be interpreted in two wildly different, disparate ways!!!

Hey Derrel, if yer gonna be sarcastic, use Comic SANS - it da rule! Sheesh. How are the newbies ever gonna learn, when even the vets don't follow the rules?

Why do the “pros” hang out in the Beginners forum?

I skipped most of the stuff in this thread so please excuse me if I'm duplicating what other people say.
Regardless of my own experience, ability or status, I have some distinct opinions about photography and have no difficulty in expressing them.

I come here because the other Forum I hand out on has very competent photographers and so C/C is rarely needed.
I get a kick out of helping beginners and I also think that the process of looking at and formulating opinions about a lot of pictures is good for my own C/C skills.
Often I will re-edit a posted picture but never join in the discussion just because it has gone past where anything I could say would be useful.
I post here every once in a while, not to get any comments but because I think I should make myself the target for C/C to be fair.

Kundalini,

Hey Derrel, if yer gonna be sarcastic, use Comic SANS - it da rule! Sheesh. How are the newbies ever gonna learn, when even the vets don't follow the rules?

Just to be one hundred percent clear, my post quoted above was not sarcastic. I was actually asking Kundalini to clarify his original post. Unfortunately, the two videos he posted in reply didn't really serve to illuminate with certainty. I honestly am not **quite**sure where Kundalini is coming from/going to, with his post. I've been away for about four days....maybe I missed something very recent...yet still, I am not really sure of what the original post is really "about". Is it a call to go our separate ways, as Journey sang? Is it a call to simply stop offering advice to newcomers? Is it designed for beginners to be made aware that taking advice from people who know only a bit more is not a good idea? Maybe I'm just being exceptionally dense, but I'm not quite really **sure** what the O.P. was truly about.

Thinking about this stuff some more, it appears that to get better C&C on images posted, maybe we need to ask the OP (no, not Kundalini, but the many newbies that start posting 495 photos all at once and ask for C&C) some questions before we invest much energy in giving the C&C. Questions such as:
1) What was your vision when you made this image?
2) What did you intend the audience to see or feel?
3) How did you go about achieving your goal?
4) What area(s) do you feel you did not succeed in and are asking for help on?

What do you think? Would asking these four questions help the discussion, or kill it?

Maybe I'm just being exceptionally dense, but I'm not quite really **sure** what the O.P. was truly about.

Derrel, don't play the goon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about this stuff some more, it appears that to get better C&C on images posted, maybe we need to ask the OP (no, not Kundalini, but the many newbies that start posting 495 photos all at once and ask for C&C) some questions before we invest much energy in giving the C&C. Questions such as:

What do you think? Would asking these four questions help the discussion, or kill it?

+1 to that. Every time I post a picture on this forum I provide a reason for doing so and some basic EXIF data and of course my opinions. Not just "pix for cc", and dump several unrelated pictures with no motives.

I've been wanting to comment on this post but was never where I could sit still long enough to do so. So here goes... All that follows is from a complete newbie to photography and this forum as of March of this year, so you can take it with a grain of salt of you want.

When I first started really wanting to get into photography this year, I joined another forum, stayed there for about two weeks, didn't really learn alot. I came across TPF by Google. Since finding TPF, this is where I have stayed. This forum isn't AS strict with some things like the other one was and there are alot more here who put a lot of time into helping us noobs learn.

If anyone sticks around here long they will learn that there is a lot of knowledge in this forum. Certain names stick out such as you Kundalini, KmH, Derrel, Bitter Jeweler, Mishele, The Traveler, and Kerbouchard ( spelling?), Schwettylens, and these are just a few to me that stick out, there are others and I know I have left some out so forgive me. And in just this short list, I have seen some great critique, comments, and had a lot of info provided to me.

My point in my post is this, I would hate, hate, hate to see any of you people leave this forum. Yes there are a few immature posters on here, and of those immature posters some that so obviously love to stir the pot but won't admit they love to do it, but for every one of those there are more people here that do want to learn and will take constructive criticism without starting a ***** fest over it.

Here lately there has been a pissing match on here almost every day. I would be lying if I said I didn't find some of it pure entertainment, hell it's what keeps me from being so damn bored in my down time at work. But that's human nature I guess, all of us deep down like a little drama now and then or else we wouldn't have 75 pages worth of bullsh!t.
I do hate it when I post something for C & C and the people who I respect and want their opinions are too busy nagging back and forth to comment on my pics, because I am here to learn and I want feedback...good or bad!

Anyways, it just seemed by your OP that maybe you were thinking of giving up this forum, and I just hope that doesn't become the consensus of all you seasoned, experienced photographers... we who really want to learn, need you here!

First I just want to point out I'm replying to this thread from my phone so please forgive any typos, stupid auto-correct :)

I've been seriously learning about my camera and photography since April of last year, I come here to learn and have others tell me what I am doing right and more importantly what I am doing wrong and how to make it better. I've learned how to get my images sharp, how to avoid motion blur, proper exposure and about correct white balance. I post pictures for CC and I read the replies and thank everyone who takes time out of their day to help point me in the right direction, I hope I've never come off as "know it all". I also post some CC on other's images if there is something I see that looks wrong to me. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, such is life but I take it all as a learning experience.

I do hope that those that have more talent and knowledge than I continue to offer their CC on mine and other's images, without them I'd still think my green skinned, blurry snap shots of my children were AMAZING!! (my husband and children thank you all)

7c505ec10a27-xl.jpg

I am very similar in rationale to The_Traveler when it comes to my reasons for providing C&C or edits. As an art teacher I have to provide critique on a daily basis with students and the observations made here are great practice. It helps keep your eyes sharp. I read a lot more than I comment because any C&C I could provide has already been covered (several times) by other posts. I do like to read what other people think as it sometimes affects that way I perceive an image.

And same rationale for posting images. If I am providing C&C I post so that others can have an opportunity. It also shows, I hope, where my skills are in relation to my comments.

Hmmmm... Maybe it's time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back