What am I doing wrong?

crystal_lynn

I am sure I sound childish
Reaction score
Website
www.crystallynnphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a session today with my niece and set my lights up like I have every other time. However, I kept getting this shadow, especially when I held the camera vertical.

Also, even though I didn't change anything inbetween frames some of the frames are overexposed and some under?? I am so confused!!

Here is an example:
IMG

You're shooting faster than your camera can sync. Your camera syncs only to about 1/200th of a second.

The pic is tiny, and has no EXIF data... I really wish I could help, but you did not give me very much to work with.

Sw1tchFX mentioned sync speed. What was your shutter speed set to?

You're shooting faster than your camera can sync. Your camera syncs only to about 1/200th of a second.

I haven't had that problem since the sixties. What camera today will allow that error to occur? Besides, the symptoms should be different - a properly exposed rectangular slit but the surrounding area dark.

I did a session today with my niece and set my lights up like I have every other time. However, I kept getting this shadow, especially when I held the camera vertical.
Where is the flash located relative to the camera lens?

Also, even though I didn't change anything inbetween frames some of the frames are overexposed and some under?? I am so confused!!
Were you taking the shots rapidly without allowing the flash head to recharge?

I haven't had that problem since the sixties. What camera today will allow that error to occur? Besides, the symptoms should be different - a properly exposed rectangular slit but the surrounding area dark.
The PC sync doesn't limit your shutter speed like TTL does. She was shooting at too quick of a shutter speed.

Where is the flash located relative to the camera lens?

Were you taking the shots rapidly without allowing the flash head to recharge?
Thats what I am thinking.
That doesn't matter. The whole image overall would just be underexposed because the strobes wouldn't have enough time to recycle. You also wouldn't be getting that kind of falloff unless the strobe was flagged, or your sync speed was too high, and I really doubt it was flagged.

I was using 4.6 at 1/250 I believe. There was plenty of time to recycle. So I think Switch is correct, since my other shoots were adults I used a slower shutter. I'll have to check and see...

BTW the main was about 3 feet to the left about 6 inches forward pointing directly right. The fill was about 5 feet in front at a 45 degree angle to her.

I was also playing with the strobe settings to get one to be half the power of the other, but since I kept getting the shadow I got frustrated and the whole shoot just went down hill...

Yeah, check your exif, 1/250th is your max sync, but the image says otherwise.

I checked and I was using 5.0/250 with my 18-55.

Ok so we figured out the black shadow, but what about the over and under exposure on some photos?

What lights are you using and how were you triggering them? Some triggering options can change your max sync speed as well as some lights are rated to fire at lower than your camera's max sync speed.

Do you own a light meter? This is invaluable for studio setups. The black on the left edge of your picture is due the shutter opening and closing faster than the light can hit all the subject.

When I shoot studio shots, I usually have my shutter set to 1/60, and the Fstop adjusted to the output of the power for my lights to get the correct exposure.

Travis
www.tjphotography.com

Do you own a light meter? This is invaluable for studio setups. The black on the left edge of your picture is due the shutter opening and closing faster than the light can hit all the subject.

When I shoot studio shots, I usually have my shutter set to 1/60, and the Fstop adjusted to the output of the power for my lights to get the correct exposure.

Travis
www.tjphotography.com

Nope a lightmeter is the only piece of equipment I am lacking. I will not have one for at least 6 months, maybe longer. I am about to incur some medical bills that will take up every extra penny plus more I am sure.

What do you mean about setting the fstop to the output of the lights? After switch said it was the sync speed I went back to the manuel for the lights, which by the way is crap, and it only talked about shutter speed. It didn't even talk about the dials on the back, but I think I have figured out that it helps get your lighting ratio by lowering or raising the output.

I am just frustrated because I thought I was making progress, but then all these problems arose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back