what are they called?

Rifleman1776

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The term DLSR stands for 'digital single lens reflex' camera.
The term P&S refers to small, easy to use 'point and shoot' digital cameras.
But, there is a range of cameras that are really single lens reflex but seem to be orphaned without a standard terminology.
The DLSR is limited to high end cameras that accept interchangeable lenses.
The cameras I am referring to are 'sorta' mid range with single lens reflex but not interchangeable lenses. Some of these are quite excellent cameras.
What are they called? :confused: I call them mid-range. Maybe we should give them a name that will be widely accepted.

It's hard to know exactly what you are talking about, without an example or two...but what I'm guessing is that you are talking about cameras that are sometimes called 'SLR-Like' or 'Super-zoom'.
Like THIS for example.

But, there is a range of cameras that are really single lens reflex but seem to be orphaned without a standard terminology.
If I'm thinking about the same cameras that you are...they are not actually SLR cameras because they don't have a mirror behind the lens.

To me, the biggest issue with these cameras is that even though the might have decent glass & features...they still have the same tiny sensor found it the P&S cameras. Plus, with the price of entry level DSLR cameras so low, it seems silly (for a photo enthusiast) to buy an SLR-Like Super zoom for only a little less.

To me, the biggest issue with these cameras is that even though the might have decent glass & features...they still have the same tiny sensor found it the P&S cameras. Plus, with the price of entry level DSLR cameras so low, it seems silly (for a photo enthusiast) to buy an SLR-Like Super zoom for only a little less.

+1!

Bog Mike

But Mike, you will need two or three lenses for a DSLR to cover the range of the built in lens on a super zoom.

Bog Mike
But Mike, you will need two or three lenses for a DSLR to cover the range of the built in lens on a super zoom.

And for a photo enthusiast, that should be acceptable for greatly improved image quality at each focal length. It all comes down to budget and how deep one wants to go into photography.

Um....not really.

Sigma | 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro Autofocus Lens | 795306

or

Sigma | 18 -250 f/3.5 - 6.3 DC OS HSM Zoom Lens For | 880-306

Granted you are sacrificing quality for convenience, but that's what you are doing with the superzoom point and shoot as well.

You got me Nate. Now that Sigma 28-300 sure would be nice in a micro 4/3 mount. ;)

I got delivery of an adapter to mount my 4 Minolta lenses on my Lumix G1 this morning & it is pouring rain out. :( Well I at least found out the ttl does not work with the external flash with the Minolta lenses mounted.

they are called bridge cameras, as they bridge the gap between p&s and DLSR.

It's hard to know exactly what you are talking about, without an example or two...but what I'm guessing is that you are talking about cameras that are sometimes called 'SLR-Like' or 'Super-zoom'.
Like THIS for example.

If I'm thinking about the same cameras that you are...they are not actually SLR cameras because they don't have a mirror behind the lens.

Yes, like that one, or the Sony DSC series, or the Olympus SP and others.
Let's see...one (as in single) lens, must be some (reflex?) way to view through the lens. And they are cameras....uh?...single lens reflex cameras. ;) What do you mean "tiny sensor"? The Olympus SP is 12 mp.

Um....not really.

Sigma | 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro Autofocus Lens | 795306

or

Sigma | 18 -250 f/3.5 - 6.3 DC OS HSM Zoom Lens For | 880-306

Granted you are sacrificing quality for convenience, but that's what you are doing with the superzoom point and shoot as well.

You would have to define your sense of "quality". I have two 24"X36" prints on the wall taken with my Sony DSC-H2, 6mp camera. These prints were made from cropped, .jpg, versions of the full frame. Full frame they would be in 30"X40" range. I defy anyone to examine up close, with a magnifying glass and find even a hint of grain, pixelation, breakdown, anything. These are great prints. They are "quality", IMHO. The pictures are pretty good too, if I say so myself. :blushing:
And, yes, the zoom range on these cameras would require several, very large and very expensive lenses with a DSLR.
For background, I'm an old, and old-time professional photog who has carried 35mm cameras (Pentax and Nikons), with bushel baskets of lenses. Before that Speed Graphics and Mamyflexes. I don't want to go back to that.
Convenient cameras are used more than clunky ones.
Let the debate begin.

Single lens, yes. Reflex...not so much.

The reflect refers to a mirror behind the lens and reflects the image up to a viewing system. With a single lens reflex camera, the mirror swings up and out of the way, just before the shutter opens. This means that when you are looking into the viewfinder, you are directly seeing what the lens sees. Cameras without this mirror, either use a separate viewfinder window or digitally reproduce the image on a screen (either on the back or in the 'viewfinder'). Most non-SLR digital cameras don't even have a physical shutter.
Until recently, this meant that DSLR cameras did not have live view, because the sensor was behind the shutter until the photo was snapped. Now they use tricks to work around that.

As for the size of the sensor...I'm not talking about mega pixels (more is not always better). I'm talking about the physical size of the sensor.

This is the size of the sensor in the Canon Sx10: 1/2.3 " (6.16 x 4.62 mm, 0.28 cm²)
This is the size of the sensor in the Canon 1000D: 22.2 x 14.8 mm (3.28 cm²)
This is the size of the sensor in the Canon 1Ds mk III: 36 x 24 mm (8.64 cm²)

As for the size of the sensor...I'm not talking about mega pixels (more is not always better). I'm talking about the physical size of the sensor.

This is the size of the sensor in the Canon Sx10: 1/2.3 " (6.16 x 4.62 mm, 0.28 cm²)
This is the size of the sensor in the Canon 1000D: 22.2 x 14.8 mm (3.28 cm²)
This is the size of the sensor in the Canon 1Ds mk III: 36 x 24 mm (8.64 cm²)

My Panasonic G1 has an Image sensor size 17.3 x 13.0 mm & with adapters the body will mount almost any lens made for a SLR.

Most reactions

Back