What are you willing to give?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by elsaspet, Oct 1, 2007.

1. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ahh, a question for all the artists out there:

Do you do what the client wants?

Or do you do your own thing and if they don't like it, too bad, they shouldn't have hired you.

2. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You will make a lot more money if you do what the client wants. But that doesnt mean that you cant make it better. :)

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I never, ever do what the subjects of my pictures want... then again, I take pictures of animals, many of whom want very much to kill me and eat my mortal remains.

4. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do what my client wants. I dont think Im asking the right questions. I love your idea of a questionere .. on pp techniques. Im not PS savy enough to turn a 200 pound woman into 130 pound glamour princess yet

5. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I always gave the client exactly what they wanted. It was what they were paying me to do.
    But I would often do my own take on it and show them that as well. 9 times out of 10 they would prefer my version.
    At the end of the day your job is to make the client a happy bunny. And happy bunnies pay bills.
    And if I want to take pictures that I like then I do it on my time.

6. I do not have photographic clients. My photography is purely a creative expression for me... but you may call it a hobby, if you insist.

I do not compromise.That's not a question of nobility, it's a simple statement of fact. I do not subscribe to a particular rule book, and in its absence it is hard for me to record compromises.

7. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well i start of by asking the customer exactly what kind of image they are looking for. Then i will present some of the idea's that i may have ( because lets face it, alot of thinks about a photo shoot and immediatly has a bunch of ideas and poses pop into your head like oohh.) I also tell them about things i have done in the past, and ideas that i may have seen elsewhere.

but never ever do i tell them, lets do it this way, We discuss their idea's. i tell them some about mine, and i always tell them "its food for thought" and leave them to make their decison.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    What Hertz said, only not as well put. ;)

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the mark of a great photographer (like yourself) is giving the perfect combination of the client's wants and needs with your own personal style.

10. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't got any paying clients as of yet, but this is a question I have posed to myself for when the time finally arrives. I would never chosen the words Hertz did, but that envelops entirely my attitude. Give the client exactly what they want or rather what they think they want. Sometime during the session , pop off those visions of your own. It will be interesting to note if they are inspired by inspiration.

11. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you do alittle of both and you have some amazing photos. The last wedding I did I had all these ideas of photos I wanted to take but we had all of 30 minutes to get the family shots done before dinner and those "ideas" never happened. :( So the bride pretty much ruled that day! :)

12. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I worked in Advertising and then Editorial. They were areas that made working in them very similar to prostitution*: you sold yourself by the hour.
    I had no qualms about doing that as the rewards made it worth it.
    The down side was that if you upset anyone then word swiftly got around (it's a very small world) and work dried up. With such fickle clients it was a tricky balancing act between the huge ego you needed to survive and the total subjugation of your will to the Art Director (whilst keeping your style). That was one reason why most of us became alcoholics.
    With other disciplines the strictures and pressures are different.

*Prostitution is the World's second oldest profession. Advertising is the oldest. Before a person can sell their body customers have to know it's available.
    I had a t-shirt that said "soul for rent - see owner for terms and conditions" :mrgreen: