What Camera

Sorry missed the post that said you'd already purchased a Nikon before I posted this, but I'll leave it here for anyone else looking for similar solutions.

As expected lots of people recommending DSLRs, partly because that's what they chose, but in reality they may not be the best tool for you, nor the easiest to learn.

A bridge camera is also a little restricting.

My suggestion is that you consider a micro-four-thirds camera. It's mirror-less, which means you get to see exactly how the shot is going to look before you press the shutter button, unlike a DSLR when you have to shoot first and then see the results, figure out what was wrong and try again.

You'll likely learn a lot more in a shorter space of time while needing to take few photos with a mirror-less solution.

Other advantages over DSLRs for your particular purpose is that for any given aperture you can also get more depth of field, i.e. more of your glasswork will be sharp and in focus compared to a DSLR.

If you're happy shooting using the LCD the there are lots of cheap options such as the Olympus Pen series or Panasonic G/GF series.

If you want to be able to shoot by holding it to your eye (using the view finder) then take a look at the Olympus EM-10, EM-5 or the Panasonic GH3.

Lens options for micro four thirds are now very extensive so what ever you need to do you'll find something.

The only thing left to get is some type of quality camera that is user friendly and doesn't take a college degree in photography to understand and use.

Even if the camera you get is very easy to operate, you need a good deal of photographic knowledge and experience in order to take quality images with it. Knowing how to operate a camera is different from being a photographer. I would imagine that photographing fused glass well is going to be fairly challenging due to reflections. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying but I want you to be aware of what might be in for.

thanks DaveEP such a description about the camera..

Most reactions

Back