What can I do to recover pics??....help

husky_mom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I´m no teven sure where to put this but since this section had more viewers and I´m kinda of a noob thought of asking here....

yesterday I took some pics at a school event and everything was fine.... I went home and somehow "bumped" the camera (Canon S3)... a very slightly bump... I turned too close to the wall :er:... then when I went to chekc on the pics it said "memory card error" or something so I turned it off again (it was off when I bumped)... then on again and the last two pics said "unidentified image"...the previous to last was even turned to a question mark, while the last one was still the pic but in smaller version and both had the "unidentified" leyend.... so I thought turning it off again the on again and nothing...I took another pic of a cloth and it was fine... but the last pic (people) turned into the pic I took (cloth)... so the last pic and the pic after that taken were the same now...:confused::confused:... what can I do??

later on the afternoon i took some other pics and turned it off.. then on to check on them and got the memory card error again... than the last pics also displayed the unidentified image thing....

what can I do to recover the pics mostly the one of the people one that was converted to the cloth one (not sure why or how that happened)... the other last one was of a dog... which still shows the image but in small size that I don´t care if it can´t be recovered... but what can I do??

please help!!... it really wasn´t that big bump...and it was more towards one side of the camera and the front part... the memory slot in in the bottom part or the opossite side....

thanks for reading my super long post ;)

I think you can get recovery softwear, have a look at the scandisk(or which ever brand your card is) website maybe?
good luck

Hi, I´m no teven sure where to put this but since this section had more viewers and I´m kinda of a noob thought of asking here....

yesterday I took some pics at a school event and everything was fine.... I went home and somehow "bumped" the camera (Canon S3)... a very slightly bump... I turned too close to the wall :er:... then when I went to chekc on the pics it said "memory card error" or something so I turned it off again (it was off when I bumped)... then on again and the last two pics said "unidentified image"...the previous to last was even turned to a question mark, while the last one was still the pic but in smaller version and both had the "unidentified" leyend.... so I thought turning it off again the on again and nothing...I took another pic of a cloth and it was fine... but the last pic (people) turned into the pic I took (cloth)... so the last pic and the pic after that taken were the same now...:confused::confused:... what can I do??

later on the afternoon i took some other pics and turned it off.. then on to check on them and got the memory card error again... than the last pics also displayed the unidentified image thing....

what can I do to recover the pics mostly the one of the people one that was converted to the cloth one (not sure why or how that happened)... the other last one was of a dog... which still shows the image but in small size that I don´t care if it can´t be recovered... but what can I do??

please help!!... it really wasn´t that big bump...and it was more towards one side of the camera and the front part... the memory slot in in the bottom part or the opossite side....

thanks for reading my super long post ;)
It sounds like the bump damaged your camera and its ability to read the contents of the card. If I'm correct, the good news is that the pictures can easily be recovered but the bad news is that your camera probably needs repair. However, first steps first...

1. Buy a card reader. They're very inexpensive, being nothing more that a plastic card holder with a USB plug. Make certain that you get the correct reader for your card type. Remove the card from the camera, insert into reader and plug the reader into your computer. The card will appear like an external drive. You can open it and drag the photos onto your hard drive.

2. Put the card back into the camera and try to format it. If successful, try a few pics etc., etc.

I really hope the camera is not damaged... it really was a very slight bump...it´s not like I dropped it or crash with the wall while running....:(

the card is either kignston or scandisk... will have to check

Before you try anything else, make sure the card is still properly seated in its slot.

If it isn't you will get weird and possibly intermittant results.

I also think it's unlikely the card was damaged with a little bump. The card reader idea is a good one and will come in handy in the future as well.

I really hope the camera is not damaged... it really was a very slight bump...it´s not like I dropped it or crash with the wall while running....:(

the card is either kignston or scandisk... will have to check
I didn't mean the card brand, I meant the card type. (Example: my camera uses an "SD" card.) You want to be certain that the card fits in the card reader.

I certainly hope that your camera is OK but let's go step by step. With some degree of luck, Moglex's hunch is correct. In any event, first you want to recover the photos, then format the card and see what happens.

By the way, if the camera is damaged, the warranty (if still in force) might cover you. (I'm assuming that the camera body has not been destroyed.)

She's got a Canon. Don't all Canon's use CF Cards?

The canon S3 takes SD cards, but in answer to your question, no, examples would be the canon XTi- CF, or their new XSI - SD, even some of their point n shoots take CF cards, but not many. most of the smaller ones take SD

The card reader is a good idea. Try that first, if it doesn't work I know Ritz Camera offers a card recovery service. Not sure what is their fee but that is another option in case the other suggestions posted here doesn't work.
Good luck and hope that your camera is not damege

card readers are a great option; if that fails, however, i'd look into recovery software - even if it's a third party software that's focused only on recovering "lost data"

also, if you have to call canon with your warranty, don't tell them you bumped it, just tell them what it's doing... just incase.

thanks....

yes my card is SD... and it´s properly in it´s place.. will go get a card reader today or tomorrow to check things out.... if it doesn´t works I´ll look into a recovery program... and if it all fails (crosses fingers to not) I´ll have to search for my warranty...just got it this last december... but got it in USA and I live in Mexico...

I just can´t figure what happened.... I really wish it´s just a card malfunction, because other way how in the world did a tinsy bitsy bump caused this....weird....

thank you all for support.. I´ll keep you updated with what anything turns up

Most reactions

New Topics

Back