What do you do when this happens?

Noel24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Lets say you have a couple young clients (ages 11-13) they're extremely uncomfortable.. tense and stiff, you try joking, smiling, asking questions but nothing works. You try everything really to break them out of their shell.

The entire shoot goes by and they are still just as tense and uncomfortable, all the photos reflect that.

Been in business for years and was never met with a challenge that I couldn't beat, but I have to face it - this shoot was rough.

Was thinking if the mom has a problem with it to offer her a re shoot... But the tension was so intense I feel it would be a repeat of shoot #1.

I pride myself on being good with kids and people in general but it wasn't enough.

How would you go about handling this?

Shoot them stiff as a board.

I have a hunch that is their natural state.

Mom will love it.

This is abso alien territory for me and would defo keep my ears glued to the answers/suggestions offered.
Rgds,

Put the camera away and get to know them as people first.
Play and goof around. Only when they're cool do you take the camera out.
I disagree with whiskey and vodka. Sangria is more likely to appeal to them.

I've worked with kids and families (non-photography related) and on occasion we all probably get someone that you just don't connect with. It can be their own issues, or unrealistic expectations, or who knows what. I don't know what else you might have done, if you're experienced in doing this. I suppose you just have to get the best you can.

They might be fine with the photos if this is as good as it ever gets for pictures for this family, maybe the kids are always like this any time they've ever tried to get photos done. If they aren't happy I guess then offer to reshoot or reduce/refund. I don't think I'd anticipate ahead of time that they won't like them, I'd probably wait and see. Maybe these kids never smile for the camera! so the family might think these are better than what they usually get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back