What is your End Game?

Excellent thread Bitter. I have spent 30 years in retail usually in soft lines seasonal type business, Im done. I've always had an artistic flair so I think its time for a new path on my own and I've always had an interest in photgraphy, what kind is still being debated but feel confident I can make it a business for me. I still have time but my patience with the retail world is growing thin.

Bitter, I am glad you brought this back up. It's very interesting.

I am a dad that loves capturing every moment with my kids for the most part. It's a hobby, and some day I would love to do weddings on the weekends. I love macro work as well but it doesn't give people the satisfaction that capturing emotion for someone does. For now I will continue to learn about different aspects of photography until I think I am ready to move on. Just having fun doing it.

If nothing at all, I am capturing a moment in time that few people saw the same way as I did.

"Other" ........for now ;)

I did more technical kinds of drawing in highschool.

In college, my art professor had more belief in my work than I did and helped me understand I did have some talent. I graduated with a degree in Landscape Architecture.

My professional career led me away from art and decades later, I have decided I helped enough other people and am now helping Pierre.
For the last 14 months, I have been taking a weekday (and one weekend day as well) and go out shooting whatever comes to my mind. I have learned it is not just a camera that takes good photos.
I am thoroughly enjoying learning something new. I do not know if I will ever be as good taking photos as what I do for my career, but I am going to enjoy myself finding out.

I have a BFA in advertising and illustrative photography (big name)... I lived in beautiful san francisco. Worked in a gallery and assisted other photographers from carrying the equipment to post-processing.

Right now I moved back to Mexico and am opening my own gallery of my work.. really I have no clue what I am doing, It's not really of a specific theme, it's of random pieces. I should have learned my lesson when I worked in the gallery before, Seriously I can't sell water to a thirsty person in the desert :confused:

I really love taking photos, but when I get creative and inspired and already have an image in my head.. Its awkward when people expect me to carry my camera all day long and just take photos of everything..

I find it great that now people have easier time understanding photography and access to it, but it is sad that this has devalued the work of actual photographers..

I spent a lot of time in pursuit of a career in photography, doing internships for a newspaper and studio photographer, a lot of work for hire on different levels and of different kinds, and all of the associated stuff. But I've decided to take a different direction career wise, and now I'm trying to relearn the whole thing as a hobby. It's actually kind of tough to switch.

At the moment, its mainly a hobby for me. I consider myself an amateur and am learning every day.

I take it literally... The definition of "photography" is: Light Writing... to me, even though I don't use my camera as often as I'd like at times; its a way to keep a diary of what I see/feel.

Someday, I would like to be able to use my photography as a secondary or supplementary income. Who knows. :lol:

Portrait photography is what I love to shoot and look at the most. Something about the way you can tell or create a story about a person even if you don't know them. I love expressions... emotions... and I love looking deep into the eyes of a person and seeing what they have given to this world.

I was going to attend the Art Institute for Photography but decided after not only talking to people here but friends, family, and photographers that I should take business classes instead. I am now enrolled at Penn State and started classes this past Monday.

I am looking into taking some Photography classes in m y spare time. If you have any suggestions about classes on the internet I would love to hear them.

I would like to do fine art photography someday. I used to work with traditional media alot -- graphite, ink, etc. -- and I just think photography is a faster and better way to produce the images I want. Press the shutter and you have an instant sketch. I am very much into conceptual imagery -- pictures with stories, symbols, etc. -- but the stuff I've been doing lately doesn't really show that. Revisiting the basics, I guess.

Duane Michals is my hero. And before him it was Giger.

<shrug>

I'd definitely like to become a portrait photographer, and have my own part-time business. Financially it would be a way to pay off debt or put into savings, and I could still stay at home with the kids. But I'm not in it for money... I know I have a long way to go before I ever consider making it my living. In the meantime, I hope to get great enough to fund my habit, maybe take a class on photography and then one on photoshop.

I haven't had any formal training, just help from friends who are pros and share my style. I read my way through books, and ask my way through everything else I need help with.

Cool thread, thanks for thinking of us newbies :)

For me, it's a creative outlet. I have a lot of passions and some talents (let's be honest here... more passions than talents :roll:)

But when I like something, I try to get better at it - weekly voice lessons for three years now, going from crocheting round hats to complex pieces of lace, spending time every day teaching myself to read music... and for photography, this forum.
I don't hope to become professional. If I ever have the time and money or give up singing (not likely), I'll go to a course. Otherwise, I'm just having fun.

My real dream (don't anybody DARE laugh) is to become an English Lit professor.

I like portrait photography and have an interest in photojournalism. I actually got my BA in broadcast journalism back in 2004. My formal training has been both technical and creative. I've always loved news magazines over spot news, but found myself writing and associate producing for the local news. I got sick of that-- fast. And the pay was really low starting out. So low that I ended up working at a country club on my days off (for the cash AND free golf).

I gave birth to my son last October and shortly after that I became obsessive about taking pictures of him. I started studying photography on my own and that only fed my obsession. I'm a stay-at-home-mom now and would love to make money with portrait photography (children, couples, boudoir, lifestyle, and weddings one day in the far, far future). I'd also like to satisfy the interest I have in photojournalism, though. We're a military family and could be gone at a moment's notice, so we'll see how this all works out!

I'd like to make a few coins to pay for the gear. Like back in the day...... buy a pound so mine was free.

Good analogy. I guess if you wanted to make photography your career it would be like investing in a few lights and hydroponic gear (lenses and bodies) to really make some cash.

I'd like to make a few coins to pay for the gear. Like back in the day...... buy a pound so mine was free.

Good analogy. I guess if you wanted to make photography your career it would be like investing in a few lights and hydroponic gear (lenses and bodies) to really make some cash.

I don't like this analogy. Selling drugs is a CRIME. Fortunately, the type of photography most of us are interested in is legal. Sorry. I just hate when people assume drugs are accepted by the masses. I don't see how this is appropriate in a photo forum. Don't make me alert the good Christian folk now :)

Probably family/pet portraits, retail photography, and stock work will be my bread and butter, but I like art photography and would like to do that seriously at some stage. I'm also very much into specializing in boudoir photography, vintage and retro style pinups. While I do want to do some commercial photography I really don't want to do huge weddings and like events. I like photographing people and animals most.

I don't like this analogy. Selling drugs is a CRIME. Fortunately, the type of photography most of us are interested in is legal. Sorry. I just hate when people assume drugs are accepted by the masses. I don't see how this is appropriate in a photo forum. Don't make me alert the good Christian folk now :)

Oh my GOD, a CRIME? are you SERIOUS??!? Well if it's illegal it must be the devil. :grumpy:

How about do yourself a favour and leave your narrow minded opinion out of what was, quite clearly, a joke.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back