What PC do you use for your post edits

rgregory1965

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a laptop, looking to getting a fast desktop and 24 inch monitor to make it easier to do post edits...

What do you use

PC, MAC, Desktop, laptop

PC or MAC is pretty much good either way (though Windows are the best of course).

As for desktop or laptop - laptop screens are notoriously bad for editing on unless you pay for a top of the range special model. Desktops are better since you can use a higher grade monitor; though cheap LCDs on them as just as bad as on a laptop.

At the moment I use Windows with a cheap rubbishy LCD. One day I will shell out for a good highspec LCD that won't have the contrast change as the viewing angle differs!

What platform is your software? I have Mac software so I buy Mac. I currently have a MacBook Pro (13inch) and an external monitor. Best of both worlds, I like the mobility of the laptop and the nice editing options of a 27" monitor. You can do the same with a PC. A powerful laptop and a nice monitor.

I have a really cheap refurbished Dell, with a half decent 22in IPS LCD monitor. I run all free software, from soup to nuts. Ubuntu Linux OS, ufraw for RAW conversion, and GIMP for edits. The features are more limited than commercial software, but open source really will make the best of use of whatever hardware you have, which is how I get away with a comparatively unimpressive computer.

Sometime in the future though I plan on running a windows version of Photoshop in a virtual machine on linux. GIMP is presently confined to 8 bits per channel, and Photoshop is floating point, and I'm starting to feel the limitations of that. I would never trust my entire system to the windows OS however. Too crashy, too slow, and too many security holes.

If you're just starting out and you have a giant budget, I'd recommend a Mac with MacOS. Very stable, very fast, and runs all the modern software. If you don't have a big budget, and you don't mind a little steeper learning curve, you can put together a high performance linux solution for like $300 plus the monitor.

My machine is custom built, so it doesn't really have a name.

I most often use a quad 3.2 ghz Windows 7 computer with a 19 inch 1600 by 1200 resolution high contrast CRT monitor.

skieur

5 workstations, 3 PC, 2 Mac. Windows 7 on 2, Vista on a 3rd. (I know, I know). G4 and G5 Macs. All things said, I prefer the PC's over the Macs. Less expensive to own/operate, much more flexible, quicker to amortize.

My main computer for editing is a dual-processor Macintosh and a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display running at 2,560x pixels wide. I like to see the images displayed fairly large when I run thru them and decide which are my selects.

I have an iMac 21.5 that I got a few months ago...I detest the shiny screen...wish I had not bought it actually...

Thinking about a Dell XPS Desktop and a 24 inch HD monitor....Im thinking sittind at a desk with a large screen to look at might be mo comfy than doing it all on the 17 inch laptop.

thanks

I have an iMac 21.5 that I got a few months ago...I detest the shiny screen...wish I had not bought it actually...

I'm with ya. I much prefer the matte screens over the super gloss mirrors.

OP, I use MacBook with a 20" Apple display as my dual monitor setup. I used to build my own computers but I've just found that today's laptops provide plenty of processing power for most of the things I do at home all while being much more convenient and portable. Plus they have a built in UPS! :mrgreen:

It's actually cheaper to custom build what you need-assuming you REALLY want a PC and not a Mac.
You want a decent graphics card, but actually graphics aren't the hardest drain by using photoshop. Any decent graphics card will actually handle it.

64-bit operating system will allow you to access more RAM than the 4G max in a 32bit system

AT LEAST a dual core system

6-8G of ram if you're really using Photoshop. Max out your ram. Even if PS isn't using it, you won't be competing between PS and the operating system
The main hard drive doesn't necessarily have to be a giant one. The main should only contain your operating system and programs. A secondary hard drive should contain all of your working files. As well as an external back up hard drive.

Upgrade your power supply. Photoshop is actually a power hog. MANY to most lower end PC's have a very basic power supply and that will crash you sure as sin. I think in my crappy computer I am running a 500W and in my processing computer I am running 750W. I also have a pretty heavy graphics card-which draws, several hard drives, an upgraded sound card (why? I have no clue!) and an upgraded fan, wireless card, CD drive, DVD drive... It's probably more power supply than I need, but at least I have no crashes! I'd guess the 500 would power that system.

NOT windows Vista. XP or 7, but vista is more headaches than it's worth.

Second hard drive that is large enough to store all of your working files, documents, etc. I think mine is 1TB and I don't have it half full-I archive diligently though or I would have it GONE!

A monitor that is appropriate for editing AND A CALIBRATOR! You can skimp a LITTLE on the system components within reason, but the monitor has to be accurate. You could have the fastest gaming machine on the market and it won't do you any good if your monitor isn't capable of displaying your images true to life. Here's a good piece on choosing a monitor and calibration: www.Clarkvision.com: Choosing and LCD Monitor for Photo Editing

I am all for the Matte screens too. The glossy ones are a PAIN IN THE BUTT for editing!

Recently picked up a mid-2010 model 27 inch 2.8Ghz i5 iMac fully loaded with memory and a 11inch Macbook Air.

Also have a couple mid Linux servers, 2 PowerPC G5 Mac workstations (old photo machines) and a couple hackintosh netbooks (replaced by the air). Anything Windows is virtualized or a dual boot.

It doesn't matter which you choose.. Mac or Windows. Its my preference having a unix background. I have a G5 and Linux workstation for the office as well (It helps to treat the IT group well).

Thought into choosing a monitor is very important.

I build my own... being a IT geek and all.

I7 Quad core 3.4
16 Gigabytes Ram
6 Terabytes of Raid 5 disk storage
256 Gigabyte Hi Speed SSD boot drive
Dual Nvidia 580 GTX Video cards (yes.. I game a little on it also)
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
Running on a single 27" 2ms .31 pixel LCD screen

It seems to run Photoshop just fine! :)

have three 2 terabyte externals I use to back up to also...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back