What type of LENS do you recommend...

FourEyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 20D and am looking for a do-it-all kind of lens. I want to be able to shoot fairly close but also zoom out (75-300MM?). I don't shoot sports; mostly still objects, which may help you with your suggestions. All suggestions welcome!

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a do-it-all lens. What is your main subject of interest: landscape, street photography, portrait, macropphotography... Also, what is your budget? The prices of lenses can vary greatly.

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, what's your budget? And what level of quality are you looking for?

The trouble with 'do-it-all' lenses is that the optical quality will not be as good as a more specific lens. Also, they usually have rather small apertures at the long end of the zoom. This may not be a problem if you don't shoot sports and don't shoot in low light...but it can be a hindrance at times.

What lens or lenses do you currently have? Are you looking to replace or compliment your current lenses?

There are several 70-300 lenses avaliable. Canon makes a a few cheap ones, as well as one with IS (image stabilization)...which is more expensive but a better lens and having IS, is great.
Sigma & Tamron also make a similar lens.

If you don't need/want 300mm....then there is the 70-200mm group of lenses...which are some of the best zoom lenses avaliable. There is the 70-200 F4L, F4 L IS, F2.8 L & F2.8 L IS. (L is Canon's designation for top quality, Pro, lenses.) These vary in price but they are each much better than the 70-300 lenses.

sigma and tamron make 18-200's for the canon mount.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

In general, what is the difference in a Sigma 18-200mm OS lens versus a Canon 75-300MM 1:4-5.6 III lens?

I like shooting architecture, landscapes (reason for zoom), people (not too much sports), and weddings. Hope this helps.

Thanks again :- )

My budget would be around $300. If you could give me some lenses to research now that you know my budget, that would so helpful.

Thank you all for your responses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back