What would you do?

Its not the amount of the money... its what they got for that amount... they got what they paid for, but man, it would have been SO EASY to do better for free.

I would have asked if she was finished, and honestly, finished or not, I would have grabbed a tripod set it up, put up 2 lightstands, taken 3-4 test shots to dial things in and proceeded to get into the picture and trigger off 10-20 pics via wireless remote, that way I could be in the pics as well.

If time was an issue, I would be using CLS and popping them away without a care. If I had 30 min to play, I would be totally manual and the last 10 shots would be better than anyone's who was clueless about off camera flash.

I certainly do NOT mind photographers who are low on experience taking pics... but I *do* mind ignorant photographers who are accepting money and are of so low quality that they don't deserve 10 cents to even stand there with a camera... much less are getting paid anything to take pictures of an important family event.

Your sister-in-law gets kudos for thinking of hiring a "pro" but there were alternatives available to the family that would have resulted in superior results... THAT is what is most important, not the feelings of the "hired pro".

Pulling out that much equipment would have definitely caused an awkward situation, one that I would highly enjoy. Of course, that would:
1) require me to be much more of a strobist than I currently am and
2) somehow convincing my wife and mom (we carpooled) that I needed them to pack lighter to fit in my equipment.

At least my sister-in-law has the pictures of my niece I gave her for Christmas...

So broken down houses and farm equipment. Were you in Congress? I would have broke my camera out myself even with the photographer there.

So broken down houses and farm equipment. Were you in Congress? I would have broke my camera out myself even with the photographer there.

Ha ha, no! Joseph City. If it hadn't been for the other people stopping me, I wouldn't have hesitated.

Here is a trick that will never fail in the future.

Always, always have a camera on you, in your hand, behind your back, with you at all times when taking pictures (by others). Your family will just say, ah that just him, he always has that thing. They will get used to it. Then when the others are done taking pics. Just jump right in and take some. ;) Nobody would ever think anything about it. :mrgreen:

If she was serious about photography, she may not have minded a quick lesson from you. If done tactfully, you might have been about to grab your camera, get the shots and everyone gone home happy. If she was arrogant... arrogant people should be humbled from time to time. :D

If she was serious about photography, she may not have minded a quick lesson from you. If done tactfully, you might have been about to grab your camera, get the shots and everyone gone home happy. If she was arrogant... arrogant people should be humbled from time to time. :D

The way she said she didn't use a flash made her seem pretty arrogant. I'm just not the type to tell someone they're doing it wrong. (Yes, I know there's no wrong and right in art, just good and poor).

Wait is she a member of TPF? I think she was the one who asked how much should I charge?

Love & Bass

I doubt it. If she is, she'll definitely know this thread is about her.
If she were a member, I'd assume she already knew that dark subjects and a light background make for a poor photo.

So which is the worse of two evils, arrogance or whinning?

Yeah Jo City is pretty bad too. Hold it come to think of it Jo City makes Congress appear really posh.

You came away pretty clean IMO. I keep the following three things in mind in situations like this;

1) Don't do business with family
2) Don't do business with friends
3) Don't interfere with family that is doing business with friends.
That is a mouthful sir and truer words can not be spoken.

What's the quote? Say nothing and be thought a fool rather than speak and be proven so. (That's not the quote, but you get the gist.)

And I got the pictures today. Mostly ISO 800 (some 400) and every last one shot at f/2.8. I guess we should have paid extra to get the whole family in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back