Whats the general mood when you do people photography?

danman281

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wonder what the mood is when y'all do model photography.

Do you try to keep your model happy? Does it depend on the setting? What if your model gets bored?

I'm pretty specific when it comes to photography. I usually want the model to do this or that and I'm worried they will get bored or annoyed. Any tips?

model are always a struggle. but always be talking to them, asking them questions, showing them shots (i usually show every 3rd or 5th). You want to make them comfortable, hell I usually bring a bottle of wiskey with me on shoots!

model are always a struggle. but always be talking to them, asking them questions, showing them shots (i usually show every 3rd or 5th). You want to make them comfortable, hell I usually bring a bottle of wiskey with me on shoots!

haha a bottle of whiskey

what doesn't alcohol solve???

what kind of questions do you ask them?

it just takes the edge off, helps them relax. Obviously you dont want to get them loaded or give it to someone who doesnt drink, but it always seems to help. Far as questions goes it can be about anything from the shoot itself to the weather, just keep acting excited to keep them excited.

A bottle of whiskey seems like it would be more uncomfortable if they didn't accept the offer

A bottle of whiskey seems like it would be more uncomfortable if they didn't accept the offer

well of course you gotta be smart about it, you dont ask them soon as they walk through the door. Usually if I feel they are uncomfortable I ask if they need anything like water, beer, liquor, a smoke break whatever.

I'll also add that most of the models I shoot are "party" type girls... so its kinda given. I mean Im not going to goto a church and ask the nun if she wants to do belly shots before we start

Woah woah woah...

EVERY THIRD OR FIFTH?

My photoshoots sometimes have over 500 shots. If I showed the model that many shoots, they'd last well over 12 hours. I do show a shot or two, but these are also unedited pics, so I don't let them see too many.

Making them comfortable is key though however, I also wouldn't recommend alcohol, assuming you want to act (or just pretend to be) professional.

well of course you gotta be smart about it, you dont ask them soon as they walk through the door. Usually if I feel they are uncomfortable I ask if they need anything like water, beer, liquor, a smoke break whatever.

I'll also add that most of the models I shoot are "party" type girls... so its kinda given. I mean Im not going to goto a church and ask the nun if she wants to do belly shots before we start

Oh nevermind. Ignore my earlier advice, I generally shoot "model" types.... not "party" girls.

well every 3rd of 5th is what I do. Once the shoot starts rolling though I may just show the ones that I really like.

Like, every third of fifth pose? Or actual shot?

That just seems like a lot to me...

RMThompson.

Where do you get your models from exactly? An agency? Model Mayhem?

RMThompson.

Where do you get your models from exactly? An agency? Model Mayhem?

A variety of places. Model Mayhem for some of them, referrals for others, also for the company I work for a lot of models send their pictures in, so I get them that way.

Why do you ask?

Making them comfortable is key though however, I also wouldn't recommend alcohol, assuming you want to act (or just pretend to be) professional.

I'm just trying to get my head around your definition of "professional".

I can't be professional having a drink with a model, 'party girl' or not?

And what exactly defines "model types". I've looked through your galleries and I don't really see any well known models. I have however "partied" with several relatively famous models.

You make it sound like you're more professional than someone who shoots "party girls".

You make quite a few comments about peoples pictures as though you're an amazing photographer, but again, your images are pretty boring. Whether they're used on myspace or not.

But hey...that's just "my opinion".

We all have assholes too.

Most reactions

Back