What's the life expectancy of a camera anyways?

OK here's an idea. Put a penny away for each shot you take. If that bad boy goes 150,000. That will give you 1500.00. To replace. At a penny a shot that's pretty cheep. Ed

OK here's an idea. Put a penny away for each shot you take. If that bad boy goes 150,000. That will give you 1500.00. To replace. At a penny a shot that's pretty cheep. Ed
good point ed. I also actually consider the print costs as much as the camera wear and tear. Printing chit cost money now that adds up...especially for those of us that aren't making money selling these prints we aren't really getting the dollars back.
Got another order in the other day, only a fifty dollar order. But that is one out of how many? And the photos aren't much good on the drive you kind of want something in your hands tangible..

one of the blessings of digital is it is SO MUCH CHEAPER. But if you print, which I think people should instead of just keeping files. You don't really avoid the cost completely.

100+ years.

I'm serious!! my oldest camera is about 100 years old, shutter still works. I bought a couple of cameras recently that were made in around the 20's; if it has a good quality lens and the shutter works that's all I need! lol

But really to answer the question I have never used a P&S much but occasionally will take one along when that's the most practical thing to do and I just want to take some pictures for my own use. But I've been a photographer a long time and a film photographer too and mostly get what I want in camera, so most of my photos are at least usable 'keepers'.

I did get a digital camera with the intent of using it and use it I do, no holding back. But when it was new I think I was more cautious with it, I think eventually you get more comfortable with anything you've had awhile and aren't so overly careful with it anymore.

Forgive me for rambling again.

Last night I was ready to pack up my sony stuff and ship it off to keh for whatever it was worth when I came to a realization.

Every time I pull out my new nikon, I feel like I need to make the shot "worth" something..... I don't just press the shutter without thinking about it first, and sometimes I opt to not press it at all. When I was trying to see how that wrap/dress I made would photograph, I knew all the shots would be trashed, so I pulled out the sony. That way, I wouldn't waste shots on the nikon, and then pulled the nikon out for the actual shoot. When I was using my new lens on the water drop pictures with the nikon, I felt guilty for "wasting" shots because the keeper rate was so low.

I have never ever ever felt this way about my sony or my last dslr for that matter. Thousands of random shots taken of practically nothing because I was bored with my camera in hand. Nothing worth saving has ever come out of those really. I don't even think I have learned anything from them, except maybe something about my camera itself.

So, here I sit with my coffee over analyzing this. Does the sony feel like a "toy" and the Nikon like a "tool"? Is the entire thing justified? Will I actually run out of shutter accusations or will the nikon be outdated long before then anyways, so I am wasting nothing but time? (Im hoping it lasts me at least 5-7 years)

hmmmm......
I think you need to chill out I have 2 Canon 1D mk2's with probably more than 250,000 shots on each, when I was shooting and printing events on site I ciuld shoot 10,000 in a weekend

Forgive me for rambling again.

Last night I was ready to pack up my sony stuff and ship it off to keh for whatever it was worth when I came to a realization.

Every time I pull out my new nikon, I feel like I need to make the shot "worth" something..... I don't just press the shutter without thinking about it first, and sometimes I opt to not press it at all. When I was trying to see how that wrap/dress I made would photograph, I knew all the shots would be trashed, so I pulled out the sony. That way, I wouldn't waste shots on the nikon, and then pulled the nikon out for the actual shoot. When I was using my new lens on the water drop pictures with the nikon, I felt guilty for "wasting" shots because the keeper rate was so low.

I have never ever ever felt this way about my sony or my last dslr for that matter. Thousands of random shots taken of practically nothing because I was bored with my camera in hand. Nothing worth saving has ever come out of those really. I don't even think I have learned anything from them, except maybe something about my camera itself.

So, here I sit with my coffee over analyzing this. Does the sony feel like a "toy" and the Nikon like a "tool"? Is the entire thing justified? Will I actually run out of shutter accusations or will the nikon be outdated long before then anyways, so I am wasting nothing but time? (Im hoping it lasts me at least 5-7 years)

hmmmm......
Subconsciously you must think the Sony is more reliable

I would try and live life a bit more fully, and with less emphasis on "camera miles"...run the piss out of the thing!!! Revv it up to redline in third, then catch fourth gear! Comes screaming in to your destination, then downshift and lay on the brakes really hard! Pull out, then floor it, catch second, and bark the tires as you pull away. Drink the milk RIGHT FROM THE JUG! Chug the OJ straight from the carton! Eat that third fried egg! Buy the GOOD cheese! Double-down on the herb! Say f*** it--we're getting the big one!

You're used to the Sony and it's familiar. The Nikon will never feel that way if you keep using the Sony instead. Forget the Sony and go for it with the Nikon for all of your shots (important or not) if that is what you intend to end up using long term. If you use it enough that you actually wear it out, get yourself a new one because you earned it.

I would try and live life a bit more fully, and with less emphasis on "camera miles"...run the piss out of the thing!!! Revv it up to redline in third, then catch fourth gear! Comes screaming in to your destination, then downshift and lay on the brakes really hard! Pull out, then floor it, catch second, and bark the tires as you pull away. Drink the milk RIGHT FROM THE JUG! Chug the OJ straight from the carton! Eat that third fried egg! Buy the GOOD cheese! Double-down on the herb! Say f*** it--we're getting the big one!

I agree with Derrel except for that 3rd fried egg. You want to outlive the camera.

This is a good idea! Though I would probably never follow through with it.

Subconsciously you must think the Sony is more reliable
I dont think that is it at all, I think its that I don't CARE if the sony breaks. or if I wear it out. Right now, my nikon is my "baby" I want it to stay nice and new and last me FOREVER.
I also think you prefer using the Sony because of the weight of the Nikon
I might agree with you, IF the examples I gave you didn't involve the camera on a tri pod. Weight definitely isn't an issue there!

Oh boy, do you live DANGEROUSLY. Im a cautious soul. It took me two months to agree to take DH's new truck out for a test drive. I made it a whole 5 minuets up the road and then let him take back over. *Giggle* I finally conquered it when I had to venture out for dog food the night before a snow storm. Haven't driven it since. ;-)
  1. You're used to the Sony and it's familiar. The Nikon will never feel that way if you keep using the Sony instead. Forget the Sony and go for it with the Nikon for all of your shots (important or not) if that is what you intend to end up using long term. If you use it enough that you actually wear it out, get yourself a new one because you earned it.
    Maybe this is part of it. Perhaps I will make it a goal to use only the nikon for a month and see how it goes! Maybe my need to "baby" it will wear off.

"Shutter accusations" is a great concept.
Hey now, I DID say I was posting this before I finished my first cup of coffee. Therefore, I can not be held accountable for any missed typos or auto corrects. ;-)

Most reactions

Back