What's the life expectancy of a camera anyways?

Don't be afraid of it. It's just a camera. An extremely nice camera, but still just a camera. What good is it sitting on a shelf looking pretty? A little wear gives it character. And a broken shutter can be fixed. Wear that baby out before Nikon runs out of parts for it.

Treating your camera as a precious diamond is hard. You will evenly get bumps and scratches everywhere you go. What worth the money for your camera is to get the most out of it and enjoy it at the same time. If you are worrying about wear and tear, then don't shoot at all. Put in the showcase and show off to your friends, and your camera is still brand new.

Last edited:
If your worried about using it you have wasted your money when I'm out shooting I go for my most expensive Leica (limited edition) before my well used one because I have bought it to be used and I got it very cheap been offered 3 times what I paid for it but it would be sat on a shelf and never used

Sooooo...something about this whole thread reminds me of the stereotypical elderly woman with the clear, see-through slipcovers on all the living room furniture...and all "the good towels" she had received as gifts over the decades, packed in drawers, ostensibly to be used "for good" someday, and how she ended up dying with a bunch of old, ratty, tattered towels in the bathroom...

Sooooo...something about this whole thread reminds me of the stereotypical elderly woman with the clear, see-through slipcovers on all the living room furniture...and all "the good towels" she had received as gifts over the decades, packed in drawers, ostensibly to be used "for good" someday, and how she ended up dying with a bunch of old, ratty, tattered towels in the bathroom...

Reminds me of my late grandma.

Don't be afraid of it. It's just a camera. An extremely nice camera, but still just a camera. What good is it sitting on a shelf looking pretty? A little wear gives it character. And a broken shutter can be fixed. Wear that baby out before Nikon runs out of parts for it.
how much does it cost to replace a shutter? thought it was only a couple hundred bucks but then i see people always thinking of tossing the camera if the shutter dies so wtf??

I ran close to 500k through 2 Canon 1D bodies, and about the same through the 1D mkII but replaced the shutter once, after the second exploded shutter I didn't replace it. All the bodies are doorstops now, but they had a good life. I used the 2 bodies for about 7 years.

I had a few canon F1 film bodies that I used for 16 years, before I switched to digital, I have no idea how many rolls went through it.

how much does it cost to replace a shutter? thought it was only a couple hundred bucks but then i see people always thinking of tossing the camera if the shutter dies so wtf??
My shutter replacement was around $500

New towels?! Who can afford such a thing? Not me, I'm too busy buying expensive cameras I'm afraid to use. :giggle:
I ran close to 500k through 2 Canon 1D bodies, and about the same through the 1D mkII but replaced the shutter once, after the second exploded shutter I didn't replace it. All the bodies are doorstops now, but they had a good life. I used the 2 bodies for about 7 years.

I had a few canon F1 film bodies that I used for 16 years, before I switched to digital, I have no idea how many rolls went through it.
wow! That's a LOT of shooting. Makes me feel better.

Okay, message received. Making it a goal to shot every day for a week with my new camera, and not touch the nex.

I can honestly say I have never and will never consider clicking the shutter a "waste". I really don't care about shutter counts. When the camera dies, it dies. If it's left for ages without being used I reckon the shutter has just as much chance of seizing up as it does when it is being used.

Heck, I even squeeze the shutter button on continuous full speed shutter whilst pointed at the ceiling just to hear the noise of it!

It's a camera - let it, nay, make it do it's job!

Mine smokes and drinks a lot so probably not long.
try not to waste too many shots but try not to worry about it either. Don't plan on resale value will just use until nolonger works and buy another. They last years and years anyway.

I figure if it cost a couple thousand and I get hundreds of photos of just my kids it was still worth the money not to worried about it. since they last for thousands and thousands and thousands of photos, it isn't like you aren't going to get your moneys worth.

Thanks for this information, helped alot.

Not very long if it's in my hands, apparently. Killed my 7D after less than a year... (fixed now)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back