What's wrong with my new camera?

Topher91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New member here, looking for some input...

I just bought a new Samsung SL620 point and shoot camera.

I brought it home and took some pictures using various settings and got dozens of horizontal lines across the picture. I've attached a picture of my dog as an example. Sometimes they are horizontal lines, and sometimes vertical lines.

Is this an issue with the camera, my memory card, or the computer? Not sure where to start but I'd prefer not to have to return it if not necessary.

sdc10023.jpg

where did you buy it from? Was it on clearance? Was it previously a floor model?

If you answered yes to either of those last 2 questions - take it back and tell them they sold you a piece of s***...

Looks like an exhaust leak but but could be the carb, id take it to the nearest shop and get it checked out.

Funny, the lines are on the carpet and dog, but not the wall.
Is it noise from underexposure?

its a thumb print

Nah, too precise and linear

If it was a thumb print, it wouldn't just suddenly stop at the wall either...

Bitter, I don't think it's noise... it looks like lines going across the entire picture to me (except the wall)... Kind of like when your screen freezes on a cell phone or your computer monitor freezes up and you get all those lines...

That's what I'm seeing :)

Yes, but it's not on the white wall AT ALL. It's only on some of the dog, and it's worse at the top of the image (farther back carpet) and not as bad at the bottom of the image (nearest carpet). That's why I am guessing its what happens when this camera under exposes.

MORE PICTURES!

maybe?

But wouldn't it be worse on the black fur of the dog then? That's the darkest thing in the picture...

i dont know either way, but bitter...it is on the wall...

weird_lines.png

zooming in you can see its covering the entire image, its just easier to see in the darker areas.

I keep coming back to this thread and I still can't see the lines you all seem to see. Even in chammer's blow up all I see is splotches. :lol:

Am I going blind?

In the original I see some diagonal lines in the upper left corner but they look like marks left by a vacuum cleaner :lmao:

More pics coming right now. It's not a thumbprint because it is sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical.

The $125.00 camera is working perfectly, nothing is wrong with it. You got what you paid for.

The image sensor is only 6.13mm x 4.60 mm.

An APS-C size dSLR Nikon sensor is 15.8 x 23.6mm, huge by comparison.

Samsung packed 12.2 million pixels onto that tiny 4:3 aspect ratio sensor.

Quit pixel peeping, it will drive you batty.;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back