What's your Niche?

I enjoy macro the most. I would really like to learn to shoot better portraits and learn to pose and all that.

I agree learning about your subject matter helps. I quickly learned to spectate insects before i go in to shoot them. I now know when my presence is arousing a group of bees and also when i could pretty much reach out and touch them without them taking notice. Recently it has been butterflies, im learning how to move in on them a bit better now without them fleeing at a single movement

If you shoot from the heart, no matter what subject you shoot you will have your niche, your own unique way of shooting and your style.

Besides that It seems some of the more influencial shooters over time have all found areas to specialize in.

There may be others shooting some of the same stuff you shoot, but they wont shoot the same shots at the same angles with your composition and processing.

If you think what your shooting is allready been done to death and you cant improve on it, just move along and find something that really speaks to you.

Also if anyone here shoots nudes..um… of the opposite sex, how do you keep from getting aroused? :lol:(Forget all the artsy replies...be honest)

tape_duct.jpg

Couple wraps around the leg should do it :biggrin:

To tell the truth Yemme when I did back in the film days, I never noticed they were nude. You get so busy getting the shot you want, you dont notice.
Right now Im shooting mostly nature, landscapes and, stuff abandoned in the middle of nowhere. I am working at getting back to shooting people though.

when you start chances are you got the camera for a reason - to photograph something that interests you - so its perfectly normal to follow that single aspect. I encourage you to try new things and ideas as they help to broaden you skills and understandings (something that a school or uni course would force you to do).
As for what you don't like - no real point doing it as chances are if your interest is not there the best you can get is technical perfection - creativity won't be there at all.

I really will try the animal pictures. A cat or dog to start. :)

Stranger & THORHAMMER thanx for the advice.

phototrainer take some images of the wife. Practice makes perfect. :)

Joves... say it isn't so... So how do your get someone to pose for you for free??? Are men willing to take it off as much as women are?

Joves... say it isn't so... So how do your get someone to pose for you for free??? Are men willing to take it off as much as women are?
Actually during the 70s&80s it was fairly easy.:lol: I knew alot of girls who wanted to be in Playboy so I shot their portfolios. Unfortunately none of them made it because, I could have used the money if they had been accepted. Now there is ModelMayhem but I havent tried using anyone there yet.

Oh I've seen MM... I browse honey... Love the site. Can't join ... since this is a hobby. But the women are so free... great works of art.

When I said free I meant free spirited... Some models want hundreds per hour.

My Niche is wildlife / handheld. You really got to be fast and lucky. The shots aren't technically perfect but when they hit on all cylindersthe sense of the action they are priceless.
Like this one
morebirds011copy.jpg

I sell more pics tho on the dog field trial circuit with shots like these though
wed5-23133_edited-1.jpg

and this
IMG_0357_edited-1.jpg

Joves I'm gonna PM you my favorites from MM... I wonder if I can PM yet mmmmm... Some women and men on there are fierce. I’ll only give the numbers for the women.

Uplander I love the last one... too cute.

Most reactions

Back