What's your Niche?

Thank you all for responding... I'm new to photography so I wanted to know if it was normal to find what you love and only shoot those images. Is it a bad idea? or I should have more than one joy?

I think it's fine to have a specific interest in photography but I also think it's important to try new things now and again. I never thought I'd be interested in sports photography because... well, I hate sports. But I'm actually finding it a lot fun! Like someone else mentioned, it's easy to go through phases where you might be really into one field of photography for even several years but then find another field interesting and obsess over that for a while.

That said, there's also nothing wrong with disliking a certain field of photography. I could never, ever do wedding photography because I just couldn't take the pressure.

I guess people do get fed up with an area in photography and take a sabbatical. Hopefully that won't happen to me.:lol:

Weddings do look like pressure... It's a one time event, you get the shot or you don't.

Weddings, I imagine, are Nightmares, even if you're prepared.

That's why I'd rather my job to be post-pros.

I've been into taking pictures most of my life, but into photography about a year. I don't have a niche, but I do have preferences. I prefer portraiture and event photography like weddings, graduations, birthdays, etc...

As for weddings in particular... some look at them as high pressure, I look at them as high-level challenges and a ton of fun. I haven't found a greater challenge in photography yet.

Well to me I would be scared. Being an amateur I can understand my fear. But what happens when a bride complains about your workmanship? You didn’t capture the essence of the day. That's what really scares me about weddings. Pleasing the clients whose taste differs from the next. You have to stay on your toes… talk about pressure.

Exactly...I mean...it's her...(because we know that it's only the female that is interested in the picture[no sexism intended]) wedding...it only happens once, hopefully. Def. a LOT of pressure.

Honestly:
The ones who would make you aroused aren't the ones who are willing to pose nude.

Say it isn’t so… :lol:.. I see some photographers use the same model over and over and again. I thought there was a love thing going on. I just know if a man is attractive he's attractive no art form would make me forget it. :blushing:

Exactly...I mean...it's her...(because we know that it's only the female that is interested in the picture[no sexism intended]) wedding...it only happens once, hopefully. Def. a LOT of pressure.

I know what you mean. The men basically just want to now that their faces are visible, you can see who's who. Some women get angry with the angel of the shot. He didn't choose my best side. Why would he/she take a picture of this? Why isn't there a close up of this? They know nothing of photography. They just know what they want... :confused: that would make my head spin to deal with that. And being a woman it's hard to say but it's true. :lol:

I know what you mean. The men basically just want to now that their faces are visible, you can see who's who. Some women get angry with the angel of the shot. He didn't choose my best side. Why would he/she take a picture of this? Why isn't there a close up of this? They know nothing of photography. They just know what they want... :confused: that would make my head spin to deal with that. And being a woman it's hard to say but it's true. :lol:

Exactly. So stereotypical, but true to some degree. I mean, even with my love for photography I probably wouldn't care much.

I'm still trying to find my niche, so I'm dabbling with a lot of different types of photography. I like shooting nudes, especially abstract ones, and have shot nudes with a few models, mostly of the opposite sex. As to how to keep yourself from being aroused:
1. Never forget: You're only a photographer, he/she's only a model.
2. Have a concrete vision of what you want to do. That way you will be focused on your work. Best have some sketches or something similar prepared.
3. Don't take pictures of your girlfriend/boyfriend (makes it harder to remember 1 and 2...).

Although this might sound strange and perverted to some, I believe that a certain degree of sexual interest in your subject might be necessary if you want to take an erotic nude - your erotic feelings can help you envision and complete your work faster and better (at least they help me). Just remember not to cross the line. And of course, when shooting romantic, portrait, abstract etc. nudes, it's usually better to keep the eroticism a bit further away (although I believe most nudes will have a hint of it present).
Although I haven't been shooting that many nudes yet, it seems to get easier staying calm with every new experience. I guess it's also a matter of getting used to it.
As these are words from a beginner, take them with a grain of salt.

Virtually every subject I shoot is nude, and I have never been even slightly aroused by any of them.

Oh wait, I shoot pictures of animals.

Still... all in all I guess it is a good thing they don't arouse me :)

People and other human figures like Dolls and mannequins. I love love love love love shooting people :heart:. I see a lot in the moments of concentration looking for what I want through the lens. I've really come to appreciate faces of all types :lovey:. I'll occasionally shoot other things, but I often feel the photos are just barely textbook, with something missing from them.

I've pigeon-holed myself to shooting mostly single-car on-race-track shots. I can sell those easier than anything else. I'll shoot other stuff but don't often post it since the wife shoots pretty much the whole scope of an event very well without my help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back