When C&C is requested.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by KmH, May 5, 2009.

1. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This came up in another thread and Craig mentioned there used to be a critique forum that ultimately tanked years ago.

I listen closely when I get a critique from a more accomplished artist. I learn more that way. I listen closely to less accomplished artist because they may show me a new way.

Let the discussion begin.

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry what was there to discuss? Is critique a good idea? Should we bring back the forum?

What is the purpose of this thread?

And the critique forum was abolished, but critique itself wasn't. If you want critique post in the beginners section, or a relevant gallery pages and ASK for it.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Critique Forum didn't work THEN, and Critique Forums don't work NOW (on other photography forums I know), for in the end everyone comes round to every forum to speak their piece, qualified or not, no matter where, so why have a SPECIAL forum where the very same is being said in the end as is being said (or at least could be said) in all the other forums.

Post your picture, ask for C&C, better even: ask specific questions you are curious about and then any of the forums here should work.

4. bjorkfiend

bjorkfiend TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  5. Moglex

Moglex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe the site needs a 'My photo's are/are not OK to criticise' tag to go with the 'edit' one.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    - Most people admit that they are not qualified to CC a picture.

- Some people who are not qualified do so anyways.

- A few who are qualified don't even have calibrated monitors and shouldn't be irrespective (at least from the WB brightness, etc... perspective).

- The ones who are qualified, have calibrated equipment may not understand what the shooter's goal or point of a shot was from the perspective of the shooter, rendering it a bad or improper C&C.

All that said... good CC is hard to come by. Personally, the best person to critique one's work is yourself. Beginners do not really care much about calibration, white balance or the zen of photography... tell them it is blurry and needs cropping and and they are happy and gain something. Short of that... things fall down fast after that.

This is mostly why good CC is difficult to find.

7. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The way I see it, there are two reasons I might post a photo:
    1. I'm proud of it, and I want to learn how to make it better. I'm showing you the extent of my skills, and I want you to help me extend them further.

2. Something went wrong, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Again, I'm hoping to develop skills.

In both cases, I'm posting because I want feedback. I love compliments, but if I want to become a better photographer, I need criticism as well. If I just wanted people to "ooh" and "aah," well then I would just show the photos to my mom.

That being said, I'm sure there are people who want to post and do not want C&C, and I'm sure there are a variety of reasons they feel this way. Also, it's hard to give good, constructive feedback. Nobody wants to hurt anyone's feelings, particularly a stranger or a respected colleague. Comments can be misconstrued and discussions become volatile quickly. Also, what "I like" is subjective, and will not always be productive information.

Personally, I want detailed comments about what works and what does not, and why. Suggested alternative can be helpful, but this is not always the case.

8. bjorkfiend

bjorkfiend TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

9. Moglex

Moglex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So, seriously, the site needs something like a 'My photo's are/are not OK to criticise' tag to go with the 'edit' one.

If people are being put off displaying their photo's that's an answer.

Another would be a forum for people to post pictures that they do not want criticised. So if you post it in a normal forum it's open season but if you don't want cricisim there's somewhere to go.

10. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see that happen in today's threads on here, either.
    Actually, my feeling is that unless you are a total beginner doing all the usual beginner's mistakes which are easiest to point out for every "one-eyed among the blind", your posts pass by totally uncommented (0 replies). You get NOTHING any more. No friendly, communicative comment, no positive critique. No negative critique. Only silence. That's been my own experience for the entire past year and is putting me off posting here at all (and somehow you can tell I used to LIKE posting here).

I'm not saying my photography is spotless.
    But after so and so many years of taking photos, I can no longer claim to be the absolute beginner who needs guidance in the world of photography.

Which has gradually placed me in the land of "nobody".
    I have given so many comments. Sooo many.
    I get nothing in return from this forum any more.
    The conclusion I draw from the usual 0 replies-posts I keep getting is that my photography must (!) be the most boring of the whole wide world ... I'm on the brink of calling it a day here on TPF. After all those many, many years...

11. bjorkfiend

bjorkfiend TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

12. Moglex

Moglex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think people were put off providing critiques because there always seemed to be a post floating around moaning about people saying positive things about photo's that were less than 100%. Obviously one doesn't want to be saying negative things all the time and it's good to be able to say something nice but not if you are then yourself criticised for not being sufficiently critical.