When C&C is requested.

No.
I see this as being more an idea of letting people be free (within the bounds of polite and civil conduct) with their thoughts rather than forcing them down a certain line. Also by the nature of the project the people doing most of the commenting would not be "pros" as yet - they are learning that ;). Its about pulling together people into more of a community rather than just everyone asking for C&C make them give some too.

Heck one thing is that if youare forced to comment on works that are not the sort you personaly like that much that can bring with it a lot of different views and also help expand the views of the person commenting as well as those on the reciving end - they get to hear the thoughts of others who are not automatically going to like the subject matter.

No.
I see this as being more an idea of letting people be free (within the bounds of polite and civil conduct) with their thoughts rather than forcing them down a certain line. Also by the nature of the project the people doing most of the commenting would not be "pros" as yet - they are learning that ;). Its about pulling together people into more of a community rather than just everyone asking for C&C make them give some too.

Heck one thing is that if youare forced to comment on works that are not the sort you personaly like that much that can bring with it a lot of different views and also help expand the views of the person commenting as well as those on the reciving end - they get to hear the thoughts of others who are not automatically going to like the subject matter.

I totally agree to all of that, but good luck to finding the perfect balance lol. I only stated the moderated thread dedicated to strict C&C since it seems some want that, but otherwise, I believe that all should be welcome for a true honest C&C both from a pro perspedtive and beginner. Hell, how else are interested photographers supposed to become more skillled and knowledged?

Well the more heavily moderated idea is one that I have tried to float on the forum - link in my first post in this thread - though as yet only one person has taken up the idea (from what I saw though it went well :) but not mod input as yet to that idea.

this would I think be a good addition to that idea - encourage people to talk to each other more!

Hell, this thread seems to be doing good so far (ooops, hopefully I didn't speak too soon lol j/k)

You would also be limiting the resource of ideas from a wide range of people, to that of a select few. As stated before there would be alot of redundancy to it. I think critiques should stay open for all to comment, I just think people should just post there thought on the topic and not let it get into pissing matches over ideas. Post your opinion and move on. If asked to explain an aspect of your critique then do so, but otherwise, let the OP decide what they want to take from it.

I get that point, but I think the overall mood is that people arn't even getting that at the moment - I think we hav an overdose of seekers and an underdose of teachers - so we can make some seekers share what they have (they have eyes to give a view - it might not be the perfect view and they might not know how to fix things, but they still have a view).
Certainly threads would remain open to all to comment on - just that a group of ( say 8) people would have to take notice of others posts - or maybe only a few posts per week (say best 3 photos per week or somesuch - one photo per thread of course!)

Precisely, to continue to have a good fluid movement of communication as such in this thread would work just fine lol.

Then there would have to be standards on what would "qualify" these individuals for this role, and by what incintive would they be governed by, as far as participation requirements, etc...it would be alot of work to get organized and implemented properly. Furthermore it would take the support of admins and mods to create the proper sub-forum and oversee it. Almost would be a fulltime job...lol.

Well, judging form how this thread is rolling on by, I would say, doing something exactly like we've accomplished thus far in this thread would suffice in an accomplished C&C thread.

Maybe just get a server and start from scratch?

My feeling is that Crit's are essential in a photographers progress. That means pro, amateur or whatever. Basically it is essential throughout your photo journey. Problem is that the web will forever have restrictions inhibiting a strong critique. First off the web (does not at this time or in my opinion) hold a decent resolution or image size to view a photo. More importantly there is a serious lack of communication between the op and the person posting said crit. Random "C&C pleaz" and people responding with the way they would have shot the photo only goes so far. Mostly people just get upset.

Keep in mind that I feel random web comments are fun and slightly helpful. Just take them with a grain of salt. Main thing is to understand web comments and or lack there of. If you take your photography seriously you will have to interact with people.

Love & Bass

I've noticed that there is a "groups" and a "friends" feature on this site. I wouldn't want to propose abandoning the message board. Maybe if we just set up a group within the board. We would try our utmost to post once per week, and comment on each of the posts once per week. Of course, any other comments would always be welcome. There's probably a way to send a message to the members of the group when one of us posts new photos.

In terms of a balance of students and teachers, there's a lot to be said in educational philosophy that all students are teachers (and the other way round).

So far, all suggestions are pretty legit, its just like I've said, moving forward with this same mentality of communication.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back