When you're travelling by plane do you trust airport baggage handlers with your camera gear?

Charlie Gardiner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
charliesnaps.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering what some people do when travelling with all their camera gear? With all the restrictions these days about cabin baggage size and the amount of equipment we can be carrying as photographers surly you have to check some of it into the hold? I know I have to sometimes.

Just reading a post about how someone got all of their camera gear stolen from their suitcase. Bummer!

I know photographers who will ship their camera gear to their hotel or place of staying when abroad if they can't fit their gear in their hand-held luggage. Sadly airports appear to continue to have abysmal quality control over luggage; which is sad when you consider that postal services (doing the very same job) have a vastly superior track record.

I know photographers who will ship their camera gear to their hotel or place of staying when abroad if they can't fit their gear in their hand-held luggage. Sadly airports appear to continue to have abysmal quality control over luggage; which is sad when you consider that postal services (doing the very same job) have a vastly superior track record.
It's called, poor management

My camera gear goes in my carry-on. I don't trust baggage carriers, and I don't want my film to be put through the really strong x-ray machine. But I don't travel with a lot of gear, so it usually isn't a big hassle.

Never leaves me.
I can fit my 500mm, camera body, spare batteries, charges and an extra lens all in a bag that fits in both overhead and beneath the seat.

IMG_6687.JPG
IMG_6687.JPG
IMG_6688.JPG
I used this handy plane case, ciao, has wheels, a handle, is designed to fit under seat ( safest spot) and has a bit of reinforcement.

As you can see I fit my camera case right in with my 70d w/ 70-200 attached. 3 lens, macro tubes, and two flashes, batteries, mininsoftbox and rogue flashbender all fit in side. I used to carry two bags, now its two in one!

I handcuff my bag to me and mail the key ahead. If the key is lost it's no big deal as I'm always carrying that damn bag anyhow.

View attachment 136978 View attachment 136978 View attachment 136979 I used this handy plane case, ciao, has wheels, a handle, is designed to fit under seat ( safest spot) and has a bit of reinforcement.

As you can see I fit my camera case right in with my 70d w/ 70-200 attached. 3 lens, macro tubes, and two flashes, batteries, mininsoftbox and rogue flashbender all fit in side. I used to carry two bags, now its two in one!

Wow you dont mess about when travelling! Great set up, I might have to look into getting one of those bags if it fits under the seat. Especially important when flying with Ryanair in Europe. They try to take everyones carry on luggage off them at the gate and check it into the hold as there isnt enough space in the overhead storage for everyones bags. Being able to put it under the seat would completly get around that issue though!

Now i recall there's a few other tricks people use as well. Some have used larger clothing or even photography vests to wear their camera gear into the seats; others simply put a camera and lens round their neck (tourist style); to again get around having to put it in the hold.

Of course those tricks only work for more modest gear; heavier telephotos are likely to require shipping since they might well also exceed carry-on weight limits. At least you can pack a tripod up and put that in the hold (I mean if they DO manage to break it chances are that the rest of your luggage is also totally destroyed as well).

Now i recall there's a few other tricks people use as well. Some have used larger clothing or even photography vests to wear their camera gear into the seats; others simply put a camera and lens round their neck (tourist style); to again get around having to put it in the hold.

Of course those tricks only work for more modest gear; heavier telephotos are likely to require shipping since they might well also exceed carry-on weight limits. At least you can pack a tripod up and put that in the hold (I mean if they DO manage to break it chances are that the rest of your luggage is also totally destroyed as well).

Yeah well if they do manage to break my manfrotto then im not sure what else is going to have survived! Saying that I still wouldnt be supprised....

Never leaves me.
I can fit my 500mm, camera body, spare batteries, charges and an extra lens all in a bag that fits in both overhead and beneath the seat.

Agreed. I can fit an iPad, two bodies and all 5 lenses I own, including a 70-200 and 150-600, into a bag that meets both requirements.

I don't really do portraiture on travel so lighting gear isn't really an issue, but if I did a second small bag with flashes could go on the plane and I'd feel fine about checking a bag with my light stands and modifiers.

Most reactions

Back