Which 85mm for Nikon?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been eyeing the 85mm for a while now and I am about ready to go for it.

My intention is to use this lens on my kiddos mostly. Activities/crafting around the house, around town adventures like the pumpkin patch, museums, parks etc.

I Imagine I will still go for my sigma 150 2.8 when doing deliberate portrait work- so I haven't even entertained the idea of grabbing a 1.4.

It will be going on my DF if that is relevant.

WARNING.... Cover your eyes swiftly if you can't handle buzz words

In my world, Bokeh > Sharpness. So while I am not looking to spend $1k on a lens, I am willing to pay a little extra if it gets me softer balls....Bokeh balls, of coarse.

So, 85 1.8 d, vs the 85 1.8 G.... Nikon? another brand?

Last edited:
I've been eyeing up an 85 for a while and keep myself from buying one, so take my input with a grain of salt. Unless you absolutely need super fast af the 85mm g seems to be the best value buy. From what I've seen its sharp as a tack but also had nice bokeh. I'll eventually buy that one

I like my 85mm f1.8 G quite a bit. I think it renders super nicely, and I use it with my daughter quite a bit. I’ll see if I can find some examples.

Real quick find Why I love my camera

There’s also a copy in the for sale thread for $350 I think...which is a steal.

I know @Derrel loves one of the “D” 85mm because it renders in a really pleasing way, but I can’t remember whether it’s the 1.4 or 1.8.

I've been eyeing up an 85 for a while and keep myself from buying one, so take my input with a grain of salt. Unless you absolutely need super fast af the 85mm g seems to be the best value buy. From what I've seen its sharp as a tack but also had nice bokeh. I'll eventually buy that one
Thanks for the input. :)
I like my 85mm f1.8 G quite a bit. I think it renders super nicely, and I use it with my daughter quite a bit. I’ll see if I can find some examples.

Real quick find Why I love my camera

There’s also a copy in the for sale thread for $350 I think...which is a steal.

I know @Derrel loves one of the “D” 85mm because it renders in a really pleasing way, but I can’t remember whether it’s the 1.4 or 1.8.

Thanks for sharing the link. What a cutie! I was hoping @Derrel would chime in eventually. He has steered me towards quite a few good lenses in the past!

Yes, the 85 1.8 G.

Look for a lightly used copy to save some money.

Looks like there is a consensus so far on this one!
Thank you!

Looks like there is a consensus so far on this one!
Thank you!
I tried to find a shot with some background blur in it. I think I shot this at f/6.7.

Last edited:
This one shows some background blur and the eyes are fairly sharp.

Last edited:
I really think that the 85 MM 1.4 AF – D is the best Mikon 85mm lens in terms of Bokeh. It was the best lens I owned for a long time, in terms of Bokeh. The 85/1.8 Af-s G is better in terms of absolute sharpness and crispness across the entire frame, but is rather harsh and hashy in my opinion. On the other hand the 85 MM 1.8 G has very even illumination and is very sharp at wide f-stops like F2.5.

View attachment 148195

Thank you for attaching photos! That is quite helpful.

I really think that the 85 MM 1.4 AF – D is the best Mikon 85mm lens in terms of Bokeh. It was the best lens I owned for a long time, in terms of Bokeh. The 85/1.8 Af-s G is better in terms of absolute sharpness and crispness across the entire frame, but is rather harsh and hashy in my opinion. On the other hand the 85 MM 1.8 G has very even illumination and is very sharp at wide f-stops like F2.5.

Thanks Derrel! I will certainly do some research into this one. I came across a video of the 1.8G vs the 1.8 D a few moments ago and the bokeh when the 1.8D is stopped down is pretty terribly in the example photo. That one may be permanently nixed.

As you are using the Df, the lens I suggest is the 85mm f/1.4 AI-S manual focus. It will look great on the camera as you are out and about with family or working. The manual focus will keep you from taking too many kids pics without thinking about it and in a portrait session you have time to focus. You will get the bokeh you want. You can stay below $1k. Other than that I agree with Derrell on the other two lens options.

As you are using the Df, the lens I suggest is the 85mm f/1.4 AI-S manual focus. It will look great on the camera as you are out and about with family or working. The manual focus will keep you from taking too many kids pics without thinking about it and in a portrait session you have time to focus. You will get the bokeh you want. You can stay below $1k. Other than that I agree with Derrell on the other two lens options.
Thank you for your thoughts! I suppose I should have said in the original post that auto focus is a must. If I decided to go manual focus I would finally snag that 85mm petzval that I have been drooling over for ages. MF just isn't very practical for me when shooting kiddos.

I have heard of people buying a lens for the bokeh, but to me, auto focus and getting the intended subject in focus trumps background blur as a practical matter.

I have heard of people buying a lens for the bokeh, but to me, auto focus and getting the intended subject in focus trumps background blur as a practical matter.

Yep - what he said.

Yep - what he said.

I suppose my original post really should have said

" accurate auto focus > Bokeh > lens sharpness

View attachment 148195

Thank you for attaching photos! That is quite helpful.

Thanks Derrel! I will certainly do some research into this one. I came across a video of the 1.8G vs the 1.8 D a few moments ago and the bokeh when the 1.8D is stopped down is pretty terribly in the example photo. That one may be permanently nixed.
Derrel stated the 1.4 D. One point FOUR D. Not he 1.8D

The 1.8 af-d does not compare at all
THe 1.4 af-d is pretty expensive though but well worth it

Most reactions

Back