which body on a tight budget?

That's a smoking deal!

Congrats!

A smokin' deal indeed! The more I use my 7000 the more I love it.

Just one point I've noted. The front sub-command dial is pretty stiff and takes a bit of effort to turn. Anyone else encountered this with the D7000? Anything else and I'd be inclined to spray a little DW40 in it, but hmmm, electronics and liquid don't really mix!

Electronics contact cleaner doesn't leave a residue. You can pick it up at Radio Shack or Lowes/Home Depot. My dials are smooth as butter.

Electronics contact cleaner doesn't leave a residue. You can pick it up at Radio Shack or Lowes/Home Depot. My dials are smooth as butter.

You mean you've used it for the same issue? I'll have a look for some tomorrow. Thanks

Similar. Not on my cameras but to clean up other electronic devices.

I had a friend many years ago who repaired hi fi gear for a living, and I seem to recall that he used freon for cleaning up electronics that had soda/beer/coffee spilt on them. Probably banned now, but I seem to recall that he claimed it was perfect for that kind of work because it evaporated away without doing any harm to circuity. I guess the stuff you're talking about fulfills the same role now.

Okay, picked up a really good deal on Craigslist today for a D7000, and I couldn't be happier. Came with an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1.4-5.6G VR, an AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1.35-5.6GII ED, a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 D, MB-D11 battery pack, 3 Sandisk Extreme Plus CF cards (32G, 16G, 8G) and a Nikon camera bag - all for $500!I turned up thinking it was all going to be in crap condition despite the blurb in the post, but no, everything was in virtually as-new condition, and the camera only has about 25k actuations. The seller was an elderly woman who was as sweet as can be, and when I asked her why she was selling off all her gear she showed me her fingers and said they were getting too athritic to handle all the knobs and buttons and just needed to downgrade to something simpler. Her original price was actually $550, but as I counted out all the money to her she just picked up one of the 50's and handed it back to me, saying $500 was just fine! I rang my wife as I got into the car to leave and told her I'd either just received one hell of a good deal or that I was going to get home and find the camera had some serious issues that didn't show up initially. Well, I've thoroughly checked it, and it's working perfectly. So good things do happen sometimes!

So thanks for all the feedback and advice - much appreciated.

This is a steal. Send this lady a bunch of flowers.

Oh, while I still wasn't 100% sure that there wasn't some major catch to the deal - like it had been dropped in a pool or something - I did feel guilty that she may not have realized how much she was underpricing it all, so I went out of my way to tell her she was offering me one hell of a good deal. She just said she was happy to see the gear go to someone who would appreciate it and put it to good use. I just got the impression the money wasn't that big a deal to her. Example? During our correspondence she said that some little glitch or other had come up and she wanted to be sure everything was okay before she sold me the camera, as a result of which she went out and bought the 32G SD card. Everything proved to be ok, and she left the new SD card in the camera without asking extra for it - I believe the 32's go for about $50, right? Why she put a 32G card in to double check, rather than just buy an 8GB, is something of a mystery!

What was really weird was that I came on the scene late because it was only after the suggestions on here that I started looking at D7000's. Well her ad had been up for three days when I searched, and when I contacted her I thought there'd be no chance the stuff was still available. Turns out a number of people had inquired and made appointments to come round, but had never bothered to show up!!! I mean, what the hell? All I can figure is that people got put off by the 'suspicious' price (there were no pictures I should add) and thought it had to be a scam or the gear was crap.

I have since posted some follow up messages thanking her for the deal, and she's been very gracious and sweet. As I said, good things do happen sometimes and there still are some nice people out there for whom the dollar isn't always the bottom line.

Thanks also go to the people on here who suggested the D7000, because if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have found the listing!

Came with an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1.4-5.6G VR, .
FIFY
AF-S 55-200 mm 1:4-5.6G VR
1: is also written as f/

That would be because I couldn't find my reading glasses at the time! I though it kind of odd that it would read 1.4, because that's something I associate with a fast 50mm.Just didn't give it much thought as I had my mind on other stuff as i was writing.

Regarding the point made earlier about using an appropriate agent to try and loosen up the sub-command dial, I picked up something called CRC technical grade Di-Electric grease which I was assured is perfectly safe with electronic equipment. Is this the stuff that was suggested? Just want to be sure before I try applying it.

Oh, while I still wasn't 100% sure that there wasn't some major catch to the deal - like it had been dropped in a pool or something - I did feel guilty that she may not have realized how much she was underpricing it all, so I went out of my way to tell her she was offering me one hell of a good deal. She just said she was happy to see the gear go to someone who would appreciate it and put it to good use. I just got the impression the money wasn't that big a deal to her. Example? During our correspondence she said that some little glitch or other had come up and she wanted to be sure everything was okay before she sold me the camera, as a result of which she went out and bought the 32G SD card. Everything proved to be ok, and she left the new SD card in the camera without asking extra for it - I believe the 32's go for about $50, right? Why she put a 32G card in to double check, rather than just buy an 8GB, is something of a mystery!

What was really weird was that I came on the scene late because it was only after the suggestions on here that I started looking at D7000's. Well her ad had been up for three days when I searched, and when I contacted her I thought there'd be no chance the stuff was still available. Turns out a number of people had inquired and made appointments to come round, but had never bothered to show up!!! I mean, what the hell? All I can figure is that people got put off by the 'suspicious' price (there were no pictures I should add) and thought it had to be a scam or the gear was crap.

I have since posted some follow up messages thanking her for the deal, and she's been very gracious and sweet. As I said, good things do happen sometimes and there still are some nice people out there for whom the dollar isn't always the bottom line.

Thanks also go to the people on here who suggested the D7000, because if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have found the listing!

Even if she is well settled, she will still appreciate the flowers :)

Even if she is well settled, she will still appreciate the flowers :)

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that I was accountable to you. My mistake.

I don't think I'd use dielectric grease on my camera. It's used to protect things, not clean them. Contact Cleaner is what I'd use.

I don't think I'd use dielectric grease on my camera. It's used to protect things, not clean them. Contact Cleaner is what I'd use.
oh crap. That was sitting side by side with the one I picked up, but when I asked which one was most suitable the sales rep suggested the one I brought home. No big deal - it's only five minutes up the road.

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back