Which camera and lens to buy?

soumodeler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for some help on deciding what camera and lens to buy. I have been reading reviews but I can't decide because every time I choose I find another review that says don't buy it...

Anyways, I am looking for a DSLR and a lens (or 2) for less than $1100 total, with the best overall quality I can get to build upon later.

I am looking for something that can handle 3 primary picture taking tasks: trains (action), landscape/outdoors, and general inside photography. I am taking a cross country road trip in a month and visiting places such as Grand Canyon and Glacier NP, so I want something that can take good landscape and touristy shots. I borrow a Nikon D3000 when I take photos of trains. It has the 2 lenses that came with the kit, so very basic.

I have looked at the Canon T7i with the 18-135 lens, and the Nikon D5600 with the 18-140 lens. Both fit my budget, but the reviews I have read say the Canon lens is better than the Nikon (at least between these 2 specific lenses).

Or would getting the kit with the 2 lenses be about as good, and then buy better lenses later on? I understand the kit lenses are generally not good quality, and the 18-135 is only slightly better quality?

Can someone help me out with suggestions or alternatives? Thanks!

Canon 18-135mm and Nikon 18-140mm are about equal in all aspects!
Don't get caught up in the tiny differences one might have over the other, its like saying one car has 100BHP and the other 98BHP.
The true differences will be with YOUR skills and YOUR abilities as the D5600 and t7i are very close when it comes to photography.
Nikon will have an advantage with dynamic range and if you plan on shooting in RAW then this is worth considering, also the D5600 can produce sharper images due to the lack of the removal of the AA filter but you will need better glass to enjoy this advantage.

Bottom line, the Nikon has slight advantage for photography with better dynamic range and sharper images but in any case we are not talking about a huge advantage, both these cameras are very good and will make you happy, personally if you thinking about the Nikon I would recommend looking at the D5500 or even D5300 which are cheaper and are almost identical to the D5600.

Nikon D5500 W/ Kit Lens
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD

The body I recommended is by far the better value over it's successor. Kit lens is good--good amount of zoom + VR. tends to be an underrated lens.

As for taking landscape like you are mentioning, nothing in my mind would top having a great super wide angle lens. the one I recommended is the best value for the price...some lenses more expensive in the same category aren't even as good as it.

I think those would be great choices.

If you're willing to go mirrorless, an OMD EM10 II with the 14-42 and 40-150 will get you tremendous images for very little money.

Would you pick up a Nikon d7200 and 18-140 or 18-105mm lens for 1100. If so it be worth a look

Would you pick up a Nikon d7200 and 18-140 or 18-105mm lens for 1100. If so it be worth a look

I have to agree........ considering my choice is Canon. Nikon is a clear choice here !

Thanks for the replies.

I stopped by Best Buy today and they had a ton of models on display, plus a few lenses I was looking at.

Overall, the D5600 felt the best and seemed easier to use.

The T7i was pretty close but didn't feel as good in my hand.

The D7200 looks like way too much camera for me, although I did get to see the 18-140mm lens on it. It was also a lot heavier. I think this would be overkill for my needs and I think I would rather get the simpler D5600. Also, the only D7200 I could find for $1100 was a refurb, although that's not a problem by itself, it doesn't have a warranty... I'm not sure I need the extra camera for an additional $300: Nikon D7200 - unless someone can tell me why?

Looking at getting this kit: Nikon D5600

I'm guessing Adorama is a reputable seller?

Thanks for the replies.

I stopped by Best Buy today and they had a ton of models on display, plus a few lenses I was looking at.

The D7200 looks like way too much camera for me, although I did get to see the 18-140mm lens on it. It was also a lot heavier. I think this would be overkill for my needs and I think I would rather get the simpler D5600. Also, the only D7200 I could find for $1100 was a refurb, although that's not a problem by itself, it doesn't have a warranty... I'm not sure I need the extra camera for an additional $300: Nikon D7200 - unless someone can tell me why?

With respect, I think it would be a foolish mistake to purchase the 5600 over the 5500.
The improvements it provides over it's predecessor are paltry and it comes with a much higher price tag. The value is simply not there.
I'm sure most viewing this would agree the same. I hope you save your money and choose the 5500.

Adorama is very reputable. I have received several orders from them in the last couple months. If your going to get the D5600 and the 18-140 lens. I also suggest picking up a 35mm f/1.8G DX lens. Adorama has it for $170 I believe. This would be a good general indoor / outdoor low light lens.

The 18-135 Canon lens is an STM, I think.It might well be bettere than the 18-140. But neither is a really super-grade lens. The Nikon 5500 or 5600 likely have a better image sensor than any Canon APS-C camera of this generation. DxO Mark can show the sensor performance scores if you're interested. I agree, the smaller Nikons have a nice fit and feel in the hand.

I am looking for a DSLR and a lens (or 2) for less than $1100 total, with the best overall quality I can get to build upon later.
Not that you'll actually take my suggestions, (nobody does) but here:

Nikon Nikon D7100 18-140mm Without Lens DSLR Cameras and SLR Cameras buy at Adorama $550.

Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G-S VR II $250.

Nikon 70-300mm $170.

And either:

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G-S DX $217.

or

Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S $167.

This will get you a very good body and up to three very useful lenses that you will happily use for many years.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I have 2 other suggestions for you besides the D5600. I see you like the feel of the D5600. And you said the D7200 was too much camera. Was that for size reasons or complexity?

Right now from NikonUSA.com you can get a refurbished Nikdon D7200 for $850. This is from Nikon directly. And will come with a 1 year warranty. Reason for this camera over the D5600 is it opens more possibilities for lenses that can be used on it. The D7000 series of cameras has a body focusing motor. So, it can focus older Nikon AF lenses. This would allow you to buy from a larger selection of used lenses (also some new lenses still require body af drive), you can borrow from a larger selections of lenses. The camera also has more controls / less need for using menu's. This is better for quick changing situations. Has a higher resolution monitor, faster frames per second rate, view finder with DX lenses shows 100% vertical and horizontal (d5600 shows 95%), 51 af points (d5600 has 39), D7200 has 2 card slots (d5600 has 1), D7200 has max shutter of 1/8000 (d5600 1/4000), D7200 can do FP high speed sync to 1/8000.

So, yes the D7200 is heavier, and slightly larger. But has more capabilities. But don't let that scare you. It is also a very very good fully automatic camera. And if your just not in the mood. Can go full auto with it.

My other suggestion is a camera that is more than your budget. But is the absolutely best deal in cameras period right now. And thats a refurbished Nikon D610. This is a full frame Nikon, called FX. Right now it is $1,200 from Nikonusa.com as a refurbished camera. It is in the top 10 of all cameras under $45,000 right now (rated by DXO labs). It has much better low light capabilities than the D7200 or D5600. I happen to have the earlier version of it the D600. Very good camera. But with it you will want FX lenses (full frame lenses), however it will use DX lenses like the D7200 and D5600 use. But the camera will use only a portion of the sensor. To get full use you need full frame lenses (FX). My wife tends to use it more than I do and basically says it's her's. I tend to use our D800 the most.

Looking for some help on deciding what camera and lens to buy. I have been reading reviews but I can't decide because every time I choose I find another review that says don't buy it...

Anyways, I am looking for a DSLR and a lens (or 2) for less than $1100 total, with the best overall quality I can get to build upon later.

I am looking for something that can handle 3 primary picture taking tasks: trains (action), landscape/outdoors, and general inside photography. I am taking a cross country road trip in a month and visiting places such as Grand Canyon and Glacier NP, so I want something that can take good landscape and touristy shots. I borrow a Nikon D3000 when I take photos of trains. It has the 2 lenses that came with the kit, so very basic.
I have looked at the Canon T7i with the 18-135 lens, and the Nikon D5600 with the 18-140 lens. Both fit my budget, but the reviews I have read say the Canon lens is better than the Nikon (at least between these 2 specific lenses).
Or would getting the kit with the 2 lenses be about as good, and then buy better lenses later on? I understand the kit lenses are generally not good quality, and the 18-135 is only slightly better quality?

Can someone help me out with suggestions or alternatives? Thanks!

if you're buying a camera for travel consider the mirrorless options from Sony, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, etc. Mirrorless cameras are smaller and lighter but can still use DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The D7200 was heavy, complex, and kinda intimidating with so many dials and buttons.

I found a bunch of new D5500s on ebay for in the $750-800 range and was wondering if I should trust ebay for something like this? The 18-140 lens was also selling new for $260 instead of $500.

Stay away or good deals?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back