TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Color:

cafe.jpg

or B&W:

cafeBW.jpg

And what do you think of them in general? Improvements?

They're cropped to fit a brochure I'm working on.

Major possible improvement for next time: let her keep her knee-caps. She must hurt so much now as you chopped them off her by your frame ;).

I do like the use of natural light, focus could still be a bit better, her eyes seem ever so slightly OUT of focus ... and it seems like the colour version still holds some more detail.

i think the black and white adds a bit more to the picture

but just to me it doesnt seem that natural, reading like that
i mean, holding maybe a 400 page hardcover with one hand, while sitting in that kind of chair, just seems uncomfortable
or maybe ive just been too lazy lately hahah

i think the black and white adds a bit more to the picture

i mean, holding maybe a 400 page hardcover with one hand, while sitting in that kind of chair, just seems uncomfortable

Well, maybe I should clarify -- This shot is for a brochure that's advertising a chocolate shop. It's kind of a "coffee shop" sort of chocolate shop. They have various chocolates, pastries, and drinks. It's supposed to be kind of a retro/hip/artsy/punk/fashionable place. This is for a class.

ah i see
well now thats a bit different
i thought it was for like a hotel or something
anyway in that case you might want to try a different angle that really displays the drink as the center of attention, like maybe across the table or something

I would say the colour one, although I don't really like her bright blue skirt. It just seems to give a bit more attention to the coffee mug. Maybe desaturate the image a bit, and it'd be great.

haha or maybe she has strong arms :mrgreen:

well I agree with what the others said. you may want to add a cake or some cookies or any other products that chocolate shop has to offer their customers. and the colored one would be better since it seems to show whole a lot more than just a chick with a book :D

i like the color one... the black and white pic does have sort of sad effect on me.. if that makes any sense.

Light on her face is just a bit harsh, apart from that i like the color photo. Looks good in general. Maybe if you could de-emphasize the metal table, it looks too strict and cold, whereas chocolate and coffee = warm, cozy feel (another reason to not go B&W here).

I like the coloured one - I think the colours look really nice together and it looks more interesting to me.

It looks a little too posed to me, because with the handle of the mug facing us, she wouldn't be able to drink it with her right hand, even though it is nearby and curled in such a way that makes it look like she wants to drink. And if she's like me when reading, I need to do one thing with each hand, so that I can read and have chocolate at the same time!

Of course maybe it's one of those fancy 2-handled mugs. Or she's going to pick it up without the handle. Or she'll put the book down and use two hands.

I like the black and white, but I would PP it with a bit more contrast.

I agree with most everyone's comments, maybe putting more of the 'goods' on the table to promote the product. Plus she does look a bit uncomfortable.

Black and white is always a good thing for a majority of pictures. It adds that dramatic tone. Very good picture.

Thanks for the critique everyone.

It seems like the color is getting a few more votes, but I've suddenly remembered that I'm supposed to be making a 3 spot color brochure. That pretty much rules out the color photo, at least the way it is now. I'd done the basic layout a while ago and since then I'd forgotten all the rules. :D Anyway, I really think the B&W fits the overall theme better anyway.

I probably could have used another item or two on the table, but I didn't want to clutter it up too much. The photo will be pretty small inside a brochure. When you shrink things down, negative space between objects shrinks as well and it can become unreadable, or blob-like. That was my reasoning anyway. :D

Thanks again for the comments. It helps a lot to hear opinions from real photographers. You point out things that may be obvious, but because I'm focusing on something else, I overlook it. For example, I have no idea why I didn't turn the cup so that the handled faced another direction. And the focus is a little off on her face. :( Oh well, I'll remember next time.

--scott

Yeah, the pose is a little awkward... And for some reason the flowers don't look very inviting; they don't suit the vase or something.

But i really like the lighting, and the place looks nice! I like the colour version, but as someone mentioned, the blue skirt is alittle distracting.

Oh. Just saw your in your post that you can only use 3-spot colour... then maybe if you upped the contrast and somehow highlighted the mug?

All IMHO :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back