Which triggers do I need??

Bethers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just starting to learn studio lighting and recently purchased an ab800. I'm hoping someone can tell me what the best and least expensive triggers are. I shoot with a Canon 7D, if that's useful information. :)
Thanks so much!

Used to be one answer for this (because there was a clear cut best and because there was really not such thing as a cheap wireless (I assume you're talking about) trigger) but now your questions is like asking what's the best and cheapest camera.

Do you just need to trigger the light? Do you need any special features? Do you need to be able to adjust the power remotely? Are you ever going to be out of the studio or in an environment where interference will be an issue? Are you ever going to buy other brand that have built in triggers that are only compatible with Pocket Wizards, are you ever going to want something that does TTL so you can use the same gear for an AB as well as a TTL enabled speedlight?

Who makes the best hamburger?

The best (IMO) is Pocket Wizard. They've been the industry standard since there was an industry standar for this sort of thing. The best bang for the buck however are probably either the Yongnuo or Cactus V models

I've got the Yongnuo triggers and have no complaints. Inexpensive too.

Do you need wireless? If not, you can plug your AB right into your sync connector (if equipped) or hot shoe adapter. I've got cables of varying lengths (up to about 16') for this. It's hard to beat the reliability of wires. Of course, they can become trip hazards also.

On the wireless side, it's even harder to beat the PocketWizards as others have mentioned. I'm sick at the moment. I didn't realize I'd left batteries in my receiver and now it doesn't work. Even the transmitter stopped. I might see if PW can fix them. Otherwise it looks like I'll be buying some new ones. The basic model now runs for $100 each and they're transceivers. You don't have to buy a separate transmitter and receiver like I did.

PWs are awesome. I've used them in studio and sports settings w/o any issues. I might have some pics somewhere of the gym setup. I used a Super Clamp to position my AB800 near the basketball goal and got some great shots from the sideline.

I've actually been tempted to try the Yongnuo stuff also. Their manual flashes get pretty good reviews.

Most reactions

Back