Who botched?

Okay there scientist. You have light leaks!! I have had them, have seen them, have seen others have them, fixed my own camera to stop them and fixed other peoples cameras to stop them. You have light leaks. Maybe your seals are worn. Maybe the latch doesn't hold your door closed as tight as it once did, but you definitely have light leaks. One person I know only had leaks when shooting vertical. Nothing wrong with the camera at all. How tight he squeezed the camera when holding it vertical was his problem.
Your first image has blue on the right but not a light leak. That is lens flare. The other side of the image has a light leak which is also apparent on the other two of your images and in the same area on all. They are light leaks! Here's a link to see some light leaks on video footage that is pretty cool:
http://www.fotosearch.com/video-footage/light-leaks.html
You actually have some pretty good samples of what a light leak looks like. You are well equiped to show the next person who asks what a light leak looks like :)
BTW, Alot of black and white is C41 process (color).

ditchlily said:
How'd you test your cameras? Do you have examples? (Sorry, I'm a scientist...and I can't get data of my own, feh...oh wait, I like that feature...)

They were customer's cameras and it's not exactly scientific :blushing: Basically I just loaded a new roll for them took random shots of nothing and ran it through. And poof a little bit later there is proof that it wasn't my fault :mrgreen: Obviously I only do this for the real PITA people ;)

photogoddess said:
My first Rolleiflex SL35 had intermittant light leaks. Always the same type and place on the frame but not on every frame.

Oh yeah? Okay, I'll run some more rolls through it and if I get more streaks I'll have her fixed. Hehehe...if you can't tell, that pattern was the reason I was holding out on film degredation. Who me? Stubborn? I still want to know how colored light leaks happen, but I suppose I imagine different wavelengths bouncing around the camera and attenuating (and the blue being a lens flare...'tis pretty skinny, isn't it?) I can beleive it.

Okay, and just to get out (or join, I guess, depending on how many questions you can take) of the ranks of the PITA...if black and white film comes out tinged red, my fault? And what happened? This was about 3 rolls, shot over a few days, either Fuji or Kodak 400, all of them tinged. Ha...it was about 105 degrees for the high outside then, definitely not kept cool as we were camping.

(The hair was still not my fault! :lol: )

Most reactions

Back