Who uses filters.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/coatings.html

There's the hoya page that refers to a filter's reflectiveness and thus light transmission. Like you said, it's not like they block any appreciable amount of light, and even when the HMC reflects back 3% or so that's roughly 0.06 stops - more or less immeasurable. I think I read somewhere the standard one can refelct back up to 7% (doesn't say on the site), which is still only 0.14 stops, which may or may not be picked up by an in-camera lightmeter with a 1/3 stop (0.33) step-range.

So I would say that one is right to say *some* light is blocked/refelcted/whatever, but you are also right to say that it makes close to no difference in the real world.

--Illah

fmw said:
If you mean the little string of dots of light you see in the frame when your lens is pointed into the sun, that isn't flare.
Kind of off topic, but what is that then? And how can one avoid or reduce it when it happens (besides pointing the camera elsewhere of course :) )? I notice that from time to time with my lenses, with or without the UV filter.

--Illah

Illah said:
Kind of off topic, but what is that then? And how can one avoid or reduce it when it happens (besides pointing the camera elsewhere of course :) )? I notice that from time to time with my lenses, with or without the UV filter.

--Illah

There isn't any way to avoid it. You're getting a tiny little image of the sun refracted from each element of the lens. Oddly, Photoshop has a filter you can use to add it to images that don't have it. Go figure.

Illah said:

--Illah

um...i'm not sure if i'm on the same page..but wouldn't a lens hood reduce that? I know it does for my 12-24.

uberben said:
um...i'm not sure if i'm on the same page..but wouldn't a lens hood reduce that? I know it does for my 12-24.

It would for some situations, but not when the light source is in the center of the frame :) Sometimes I actually want the light source in the pic. Wierd how sometimes I get the refraction, sometimes I don't... I've noticed faster shutter speeds tend to cut it down a LOT as the refractions end up being very faint, but long exposures (as noted above) give them time to burn into the image and become much more prominent.

--Illah

Pirate, I always purchase a good quality filter (usually B+W) to put over my lenses. There are those who argue that putting another piece of glass over your lens will reduce picture quality, but is the best protection against damaging the actual lens: As long as it is a quality filter. A lens hood is good protection, (and I always use those as well) but I'd much rather loose a $150 filter than a $1500 lens.

JC

jacull said:
Pirate, I always purchase a good quality filter (usually B+W) to put over my lenses. There are those who argue that putting another piece of glass over your lens will reduce picture quality, but is the best protection against damaging the actual lens: As long as it is a quality filter. A lens hood is good protection, (and I always use those as well) but I'd much rather loose a $150 filter than a $1500

But if you pay $150 for a UV filter, you get ripped big time!

Most reactions

Back