Why did you buy Canon?

Because only canon had 8fps AND an 18mp sensor that lets Nikon out and I have yet to see a PRO use a sony etc for good reason

I sort of fell into it like some of the previous posters. My first digital was a G6 (bridge camera) and I was still using Pentax film SLR's. I chose the G6 because I liked the set of features better than the ones on the Nikon equivalent (whatever that was) and once I got used to Canon controls/software I saw no point in switching when I got a DSLR.

Way back I was a Pentax shooter and my father had a Minolta Maxxum. Both companies sparked a move to bring AF to the masses. With money in pocket a few years later, I decided it was time to buy a new system. During that time Canon was really making great strides with their new EOS system. It brought great improvements to AF performance, USM, and IS (100-400L being one of the early high quality zooms with IS). I was sold and purchased Canon. By the time digital struck, I had such a large investment in Canon (happy too) that I stuck with them.

IMO, people nit pick and pixel peep way too much these days.... pretty much any brand can fulfill the needs of 90% of the consumers that buy cameras. Brand matters even less now that digital has advanced far enough.

In my film days, I shot mostly Nikon, with a Yashica as a secondary camera to switch between color/BW or ISOs. When the first digital p&s cams came out, I played with a couple Sony models. DSLRs weren't ready for prime time yet, but I was eager to see them come into their own. Then Canon introduced the 20D, and I made the leap to digital with it because it had the features I was looking for. At the time that I bought the body, I also got the 18-55, 28-135 & 100-400, plus extra batts, CF cards, etc. I was not disappointed in any way. Since then, I've continued to build on the Canon platform with several more lenses, a 40D, a 7D, a 5DMKII, 4 speedlights, grips & other assorted Canon-specific gear. It continues to meet my needs and expectations. I could just as easily have jumped into a Nikon DSLR system had they been the first to offer what I wanted at the time, and I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with that platform.

Why did you buy Canon?

Glass.

My first DSLR was a Canon Rebel Xti. A few years later I've upgraded to rebel T1i because it was the first with video capabilities. Then a few months ago I caved for a FF body as my photography passion has grown. The choice was 5D III or D800 because with my rebels I knew I would one day go "all serious" and I didn't want to buy any expensive glass for my rebels, in case I had to jump over to Nikon. So after researching a ton I went for 5D III, major decision breaker was actually the glass offered by the brand, not the DSLR body itself.

I am sure everyone would agree that at this point, with D800 vs 5D III both cameras are very similar. So I couldn't really pick which body was better although I was leaning towards Canon's ergonomics. SO I looked at the lens I wanted to use. Being a photographer on the go, I wanted my future kit to be as versatile as possible while being as light as possible as well. So the decision was to only get 2 lenses. Best "all around" lenses were zooms, so I looked at those. Money wasn't a problem, but IQ was. I didn't want anything slower than f/2.8 and even at 2.8 I wanted the best possible IQ. After researching a ton, I decided that Canon's 70-200 II was better than Nikons. Although very close, and nikons having better resolution in the center, the Canons 70-200 had better resolution all around and a lot better CA control. For me, this is more important than slightly better resolution down the center.

As for the second lens I've decided on Canon's upcoming f/2.8 24-70 II because I was impressed by the stats. Yes, there are no good sample images taken with it yet, nor there are any solid technical previews/reviews. But this all derives from MTF charts and the charts are amazing for that lens. I think when it comes out in July it will be world's best f/2.8 24-70 by IQ.

So in the end, having found 2 perfect lenses for me, which were both Canon, I've decided to get 5D III instead of D800. And this is how I ended up with Canon. And like I said, the major decision breaker was the glass.

Last edited:
Started with ae1. Don't recall why, probably price back then. Canon has never given me a reason to switch. Bought first digital rebal. Recently upgraded to 60d. Wish I could justify higher stuff, but I'm happy happy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why did you buy Canon?

Glass.

My first DSLR was a Canon Rebel Xti. A few years later I've upgraded to rebel T1i because it was the first with video capabilities. Then a few months ago I caved for a FF body as my photography passion has grown. The choice was 5D III or D800 because with my rebels I knew I would one day go "all serious" and I didn't want to buy any expensive glass for my rebels, in case I had to jump over to Nikon. So after researching a ton I went for 5D III, major decision breaker was actually the glass offered by the brand, not the DSLR body itself.

I am sure everyone would agree that at this point, with D800 vs 5D III both cameras are very similar. So I couldn't really pick which body was better although I was leaning towards Canon's ergonomics. SO I looked at the lens I wanted to use. Being a photographer on the go, I wanted my future kit to be as versatile as possible while being as light as possible as well. So the decision was to only get 2 lenses. Best "all around" lenses were zooms, so I looked at those. Money wasn't a problem, but IQ was. I didn't want anything slower than f/2.8 and even at 2.8 I wanted the best possible IQ. After researching a ton, I decided that Canon's 70-200 II was better than Nikons. Although very close, and nikons having better resolution in the center, the Canons 70-200 had better resolution all around and a lot better CA control. For me, this is more important than slightly better resolution down the center.

As for the second lens I've decided on Canon's upcoming f/2.8 24-70 II because I was impressed by the stats. Yes, there are no good sample images taken with it yet, nor there are any solid technical previews/reviews. But this all derives from MTF charts and the charts are amazing for that lens. I think when it comes out in July it will be world's best f/2.8 24-70 by IQ.

So in the end, having found 2 perfect lenses for me, which were both Canon, I've decided to get 5D III instead of D800. And this is how I ended up with Canon. And like I said, the major decision breaker was the glass.

Hmm, odd... Nikon seemed to have beaten Canon in the trinity. They have the 14-24mm which Canon doesn't have. According to DxOMark, Nikon's 70-200mm is sharper, 24-70mm is also sharper...

Why did you buy Canon?

Glass.

Hmm, odd... Nikon seemed to have beaten Canon in the trinity. They have the 14-24mm which Canon doesn't have. According to DxOMark, Nikon's 70-200mm is sharper, 24-70mm is also sharper...
This purpose of this thread was not a canon/nikon p**sing match. Nobody bought canons here for those sharpness graphs

All the people that I learned from and talked photography with had canon, so that's what I felt comfortable with.

Glass.

This purpose of this thread was not a canon/nikon p**sing match. Nobody bought canons here for those sharpness graphs

I'm not trying to say Canon is not better. It's just that I was trying to see from where did he get the information that Canon's 24-70 was better than Nikon's 24-70. I do buy stuff from graphs, the MTF and DxOMark's graph gives me a good representation of how sharp a lens is.

You know, I have no good reason why I went Canon. I guess because it wasn't Nikon.

Growing up, everything was Nikon. I guess I just wanted something different.

More lens choices. Compatibility with high quality legacy glass with adaptors.

After learning photography on my grandfathers folding Kodak in 1958 or so, and a handful of Kodak Instamatics later, I graduated to 35mm about 1970. That was a Minolta view-finder camera. The pictures were OK, except the ones with the lens cap still on! In 1976, I wanted a 'real' camera, a SLR. The camera store near me put me into a Canon AE-1, which was the newest/best beginner SLR of the day. Unfortunately, the AE-1 suffered new-model 'teething' problems (eg, bleeding edge technology), so the dealer gave me full credit on the AE-1 predecessor, an EF. I must've shot a couple thousand rolls on my two EF bodies, before I got married and put down my camera. 5-6 years after the divorce, I picked up a Canon G-3 (you mean there -are- other manufacturers out there?), graduated to a g-5, then a 30D, and now a 60D. My next years' tax refund is already allocated to buying a 5d3.

In short, ever since I got 'real' about photography, I've been shooting Canon equipment. If it ain't broke, don't fix(replace) it!

As an aside, I sent my dropped/broken 580EX II flash to Canon repair 2 weeks ago and got it back in MINT condition last Wednesday---THAT'S SERVICE after the sale!!!!

I'm not trying to say Canon is not better. It's just that I was trying to see from where did he get the information that Canon's 24-70 was better than Nikon's 24-70. I do buy stuff from graphs, the MTF and DxOMark's graph gives me a good representation of how sharp a lens is.

WTH are you here anyway??? Other than to start a flame war that has been done over and over and over. The question was "Why did you buy Canon? Not which is better Nikon vs Canon. You shoot Nikon... go start your own thread.

If someone chose to share their opinion (which is the purpose of this thread), its their prerogative. As someone already mentioned, they didn't ask for you input. I'd say thumbs up to sovietdoc for following his/her own discovery rather than being a sheep. Its kinda pathetic.... do you need some sort of number on some graph or some un-related thread on some forum as some form self-assurance of your investment?

Last edited:
I wanted to work with film and photography and my friend a recent graduate in electronic media told me about canon. I was going to go with Nikon but he told me about the T3i and 60D and most recommendations agreed so I took to his wisdom.

Most reactions

Back