Why did you buy Canon?

I'm not trying to say Canon is not better. It's just that I was trying to see from where did he get the information that Canon's 24-70 was better than Nikon's 24-70. I do buy stuff from graphs, the MTF and DxOMark's graph gives me a good representation of how sharp a lens is.

WTH are you here anyway??? Other than to start a flame war that has been done over and over and over. The question was "Why did you buy Canon? Not which is better Nikon vs Canon. You shoot Nikon... go start your own thread.

If someone chose to share their opinion (which is the purpose of this thread), its their prerogative. As someone already mentioned, they didn't ask for you input. I'd say thumbs up to sovietdoc for following his/her own discovery rather than being a sheep. Its kinda pathetic.... do you need some sort of number on some graph or some un-related thread on some forum as some form self-assurance of your investment?

I'm not here to start a flame war. I simply posted my opinion, I got into this thread because I saw the OP posting several threads for different brands on the same questions. I was just curious. They didn't ask for my input, but they could choose to ignore input too. Graph and charts are less biased than humans anyway. I'll end my postings here, before another flame war starts.

When i got into Canon there was no other make to touch the 1Dmk1 for sports photography and with the lenses i have i will not be moving

I'm not here to start a flame war.

It seems like you did. oh ..well

Just for the assurance, you did make the right choice for buying a Nikon camera since the DxO mark said the sensor in Nikon camera are the best in the market. And the photographs that produced by your camera are going to be the best. No doubt. I made the wrong decision when I first pick up my Canon EOS Rebel XTi.

Since I made the wrong decision so I punished myself by not getting the best sensor camera in this world. Instead, I bought a noisy EOS 40D. And recently, after seeing all those D800 D4 cameras perform so well in DxOmarks while my 40D seems to be at the bottom of the chart, I punished myself again by not going to D7000 and pick up a nosier 7D.

Well, I've decided that Canon will be what I buy. Although it won't be my first lens, I want the MP-E65 at some point so that dictates the camera. I am confortable that the Canon is as good as Nikon (and sorry of that ruffles any feathers), but based on the actual photos I've been looking at there is no way to tell if it came from a Nikon or a Canon just by looking at them...they're all good and

As of right now I'm planning on a T2i. I looked at the T3i but don't see anything in the specs different/better enough to warrant the extra cost for me. I have no interest in the video modes at all. I'm not a sports or action shooter, so faster frame rates don't mean anything to me...and the T2i is in my budget.

Then again, with the D3200 just out I wonder if Canon will release something to compete with it? If not, then the T2i it is.

Ergonomics was my reason for choosing Canon; every body I have put in my hands feels like it was custom made to fit me. The Nikons I have fondled felt chunky and cheap.

I do agree that I have a weird obsession for DxOMark, but no doubt their tests are more reliable than others IF you know how to interpret them.

Obsessed with Benchmark. I do not think you are the only one. And it is quite common in the technology world. There are people who made their decision mainly based on benchmark. Back then in the computer world, manufacturers even tuned/designed their hardware so that it will score high in benchmark. To a point some of the benchmark become meaningless and often cannot reflect the real world application. I am not saying it is the case now with the DxOMark. But I will not make my purchase decision solely based on benchmark. And you do not need to get the best in the market to be happy.

If I want to buy a f/1.2 lens and the benchmark said the corner is soft when wide open. I will say ok, thanks for telling me, but I will still going to get that because when I want to shoot at f/1.2, most of the time I do not care about corner softness because it is going to be out of focus anyway.

In photography, I strongly believe whether you can create a stunning image is the key. Couple years ago, when I saw some forum members were able to create beautiful images with their Nikon D50 and D40 while I was using a Canon 40D, I told myself I need to work harder and practice more.

one of my favourite lenses (I took many of my better images with this lens) is one with a rather poor DxO benchmark. Hence I do not care much for benchmarks anyway ;)

one of my favourite lenses (I took many of my better images with this lens) is one with a rather poor DxO benchmark. Hence I do not care much for benchmarks anyway ;)

What lens is it?

Benchmarks helps me decide which one to get, eg. two lenses of the same type ie same focal length and fstop, benchmark and price will help me determine which one to choose.

Benchmarks helps me decide which one to get, eg. two lenses of the same type ie same focal length and fstop, benchmark and price will help me determine which one to choose.
But they don't help your photography
And when human eyes can't discern the difference in the results, then the benchmarks mean absolutely nothing.

I had been a Nikon user since probably around 1969 or so. Over the years I was very happy with the lenses and cameras. Digital showed up and after a while I bought a D100. After about 6 months it failed under warranty. Nikon "fixed" it. The fix lasted about a month before it showed the same issue. Back to Nikon again. And again it lasted about a month. I decided to pick up a D70 around this time as a B cam. The D70 started to lock up about 9 months after I bought it. I was pretty unhappy with Nikon at this point. Then I saw this:

[video=vimeo;7151244]http://vimeo.com/7151244[/video]

And discovered that I could get adapters for my Nikon lenses to use on the 5D. This camera is far from perfect but I do love it so. Great images from it and it has been a very reliable camera. My wife bought a couple of them for use on her cinema work and she has been very happy with them as well.

Most reactions

Back