Why do we bother?

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This thought has been raised before. So sue me.

I was getting a checkup from my dentist yesterday. He's a good photographer. The session stretched out because he wanted to show me some recent shots. He could use more work on PP--this from someone who is certainly no great shakes at it--but he takes some very nice photos.

He said that his wife has asked him why he bothers taking photographs. No one ever sees them, she said. Well I do, he told her, and I care whether they're good or not.

His wife has a point, though, and I've certainly wondered the same thing. Why bother?

The only answers I come up with:

(1) I like new challenges and learning new things. I've learned a lot about photography but there's still a ton I don't know, and the learning itself is fun.

(2) There's a certain magic for me when a print emerges from the printer.

(3) It's a good excuse to go to lovely places.

why does painter paint?
why does poet write poems ?
why does a song writer wight songs ?

make money ? the lucky few maybe?
artistic expression?

why do i bother?
well i dont have a great answer for you. Aether then that i like taking photos of things

It's fun, I enjoy it.
It's something to do (get off the couch and go on a walk somewhere).

I mainly do it because it's fun for me.

Because I suck at fishing.

I hate this school of thought. Why move? Why listen to music? Why watch a movie? Why even bother to breathe? It's so damn negative.

I'd go nuts if I didn't have a creative outlet. Photography gives me a better appreciation for nature, and the world around us. It also relaxes me as well as motivating me to go and see and do things I probably wouldn't bother doing otherwise.

I hate this school of thought. Why move? Why listen to music? Why watch a movie? Why even bother to breathe? It's so damn negative.

I'd go nuts if I didn't have a creative outlet. Photography gives me a better appreciation for nature, and the world around us. It also relaxes me as well as motivating me to go and see and do things I probably wouldn't bother doing otherwise.

+1

a photography is that one freeze frame in time, its a way to stop and look at something that most people pass up in there day to day lives, Its a way to express beauty we see that most people forget about and just dont pay attention to.

I love it for all the reasons mentioned. I get to go out and do something while my husband is playing golf, I love to record memories, I love to visit new places and heck what else would I do with that money? Come to think of it, I would be pretty well off if it weren't for my camera!

But, I am not in the situation of no one seeing my photos. Lots of people see my pictures. I show them to everyone! I even have an email group setup of people that want to see my shots when I go shoot something new. I have my own fan club (just don't tell anyone that most of them are family). :lol:

- It is the GREATEST form of stress relief in the world for me.
- It will give me a sideline and something to do when I retire.
- It's fun!

Obviously professionals will say its for a living....

As a hobby photographer, it
* Slows me down... really "see" and observe my surroundings
* A record of things I found interesting in life
* It bridges my technical and artistic halves

It doesn't bother me that no one really sees my work (I don't share much online), the only person that I have to satisfy is myself (my worst critic). I will share with anyone who asks... especially if they buy the drinks.

beacuse if I don't I can never say "I took that"
as for people seeing them - I torment people all over the net with them - famaily too sometimes :)
And besides I really want to decorate my walls with something more personal than a movie poster ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back