Why don't people like program mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"P" is the fast mode in good light, when it is important to have the picture and artistic considerations do not play any role.

"P" is the fast mode in any light to achieve full control of the camera, maximum precision, and precisely the result you want when artistic considerations are all that matter. It depends somewhat on the design of the specific camera but in M you will typically lose precision and otherwise gain no advantage over using P.

How would, given artistic considerations, you arrive at a result using M that you couldn't also achieve using P?

Joe

Program shift adjusts time & aperure (and possibly ISO too). If I want to blur motion I set another time that if I want to freeze time just about or if I want to freeze time altogether.

I want to choose Aperture independently if situation permits.

Program shift adjusts time & aperure (and possibly ISO too). If I want to blur motion I set another time that if I want to freeze time just about or if I want to freeze time altogether.

I want to choose Aperture independently if situation permits.

In P mode if you want to blur motion just set the shutter speed you want -- no less difficult than setting the shutter in M mode. You're ability to independently select aperture once the shutter speed is set is limited by exposure and always comes down to: you have no choice.

Exposure = time + aperture. To maintain a constant exposure, change time and you must change aperture. No independent option to set aperture exists that doesn't alter exposure.

Joe

Not in Auto ISO if one stays within its limits

Exposure = time + aperture. You see ISO anywhere in that equation? So yes: "To maintain a constant exposure, change time and you must change aperture. No independent option to set aperture exists that doesn't alter exposure."

In auto ISO you're arguably no longer in full manual. In auto ISO you're handing the image over to the camera to decide like a rank amateur and you're giving up control over artistic considerations.

Joe

Exposure = time + aperture. You see ISO anywhere in that equation? So yes: "To maintain a constant exposure, change time and you must change aperture. No independent option to set aperture exists that doesn't alter exposure."

In auto ISO you're arguably no longer in full manual. In auto ISO you're handing the image over to the camera to decide like a rank amateur and you're giving up control over artistic considerations.

Joe
I think the choice for auto ISO would depend more on tripod vs handheld and the conditions in which you're shooting.

Joe
I think the choice for auto ISO would depend more on tripod vs handheld and the conditions in which you're shooting.

Auto ISO makes sense in rapidly changing lighting conditions and especially when photographing action in that lighting condition. It's really good for sports photographers.

Joe

...because it's not manual mode. Manual mode is the only mode, I like or use. I usually want to control every aspect of the creating the exposure that I can for each unique situation.

Ysarex said:
In auto ISO you're handing the image over to the camera to decide like a rank amateur and you're giving up control over artistic considerations.

Joe

This is sooooo far wrong, it is shocking. Just dumb comments. You ought to know better. I mean that seriously, too. With all due respect.

Maybe you are unaware how Pentax and Nikon have designed their ***new*** AUTO ISO systems. I'll give you that as an out.

Ysarex said:
In auto ISO you're handing the image over to the camera to decide like a rank amateur and you're giving up control over artistic considerations.

Joe

This is sooooo far wrong, it is shocking. Just dumb comments. You ought to know better. I mean that seriously, too. With all due respect.

Maybe you are unaware how Pentax and Nikon have designed their ***new*** AUTO ISO systems. I'll give you that as an out.

I know, it was sarcasm.

Joe

It's just the same old same old cr*p of "I shoot manual because I want total control. Manual is the only mode for real photographers." I was in the process of making an effort to resist that.

Is 14 pages and 8 years enough for a thread? Chances are program mode and indeed basic manual mode and auto ISO modes have changed a LOT since this thread began its life.

Thank God. AUTO ISO is not what it used to be, 10 years ago. Pentax had the first system that was perfected. Nikon stole much of that. Canon has not yet caught up.

In my 7D the only thing I wish is that manual mode had the exposure bias selection [under/over expose from the meter reading] that Nikon has - which often seemed totally redundant to me in manual mode until auto ISO came on the scene (and thus the camera had something to bias even in manual mode if the photographer wished).

Thank God. AUTO ISO is not what it used to be, 10 years ago. Pentax had the first system that was perfected. Nikon stole much of that. Canon has not yet caught up.

This is copied directly from my notes to students in digital photo I: "On a digital camera ISO also functions electronically as a processing parameter after exposure and is used to determine the degree of sensor signal boost required to compensate for any necessary underexposure. Right now find the control on your camera that sets ISO and set it to Auto." I even put it in bold.

I'm just wasting my time tilting windmills of ignorance for all the "P mode is letting your camera decide, shoot in M for artistic control" cr*p.

Joe

P.S. Another one popped up in between our recent posts.

...because it's not manual mode. Manual mode is the only mode, I like or use. I usually want to control every aspect of the creating the exposure that I can for each unique situation.

Wow! It must take Trumpian sized hands to turn those manual dials. How is it that you have more control in M mode than in P mode -- can you provide an example?

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back