why is people hating on the D3000

So you're saying it's easier to hold down a button and operate the command dial instead of just rotating the command dial in manual mode to change aperture.

Because on a baby Nikon that's exactly what you have to do... hold down the aperture/exposure compensation button and then turn the command dial.

To change ISO you have to dive into the menu system, is that really easier than pushing a button that says ISO?

I don't see your argument based on being new vs knowing what you're doing.

What I'm talking about is that when a camera has 3 times the amount of functions, its allot more complicated for someone to learn who knows nothing about DSLR's... I know this from experience, because I learned on a Sony a200, which is a very basic DSLR... After about a year, I bought a Nikon D200, and it has some many features that the camera was really overwhelming to me... The simplicity of the a200 is what made it easier... That was my point. Now that I know what I'm doing, sure the D200 is much easier in terms of functionality...

My buddy has an a200, to me it was the most confusing camera to operate :lol:

Take a look at the comparison photos I just posted in my earlier post, I still don't see the problem.

Take a look at the comparison photos I just posted in my earlier post, I still don't see the problem.

You're not the first person to say that...:lol:

Okay, then where is the auto mode on the D3? There isn't one... and for noobs, well, many shoot in auto mode while learning... They really rely on that when they don't know what to do in certain situations. I just still subscribe to the fact that the more features a camera has, the more difficult it is to learn, especially for someone who knows nothing about DSLR's... I guess maybe we can agree to disagree :mrgreen:

You're not the first person to say that...:lol:

Okay, then where is the auto mode on the D3? There isn't one... and for noobs, well, many shoot in auto mode while learning... They really rely on that when they don't know what to do in certain situations. I just still subscribe to the fact that the more features a camera has, the more difficult it is to learn, especially for someone who knows nothing about DSLR's... I guess maybe we can agree to disagree :mrgreen:

In my opinion a major drawback to the D5000 is that it's extremely complicated and cumbersome to change settings. The D5000 is about 98% menu driven. If you walk around on full auto all day then fine... you should have gone with a point and shoot.

My girlfriend who knows very little about photography and is a DSLR noob finds the D300s much much easier to use than her D5000. She still prefers the D5000 though because of it's weight, size and screen.

I was hoping to get some info off of this thread to make my decision. I am still leaning toward the D5000, but hope that the menus are horrible. One question I have, is going with the refurbished version over the retail a bad thing? Heard there are warranties added to these refurbs that would curb any messup early on. But spending almost a grand, I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot...

if you're spending almost a grand, you should be going home with the D90.

So you're saying it's easier to hold down a button and operate the command dial instead of just rotating the command dial in manual mode to change aperture.

Because on a baby Nikon that's exactly what you have to do... hold down the aperture/exposure compensation button and then turn the command dial.

To change ISO you have to dive into the menu system, is that really easier than pushing a button that says ISO?

I don't see your argument based on being new vs knowing what you're doing.

The back of a D3s:
nikon-d3s-2.jpg

The back of a D5000:
d5000-back.png

You don't have to dive in the menu to change ISO on the D40 or D3000, just program the function button to ISO. Beside, it's only like 3 step to change ISO in the menu through the info button. I don't change ISO or that often so it's not really all big of a deal. I also switch the setting to auto ISO, now so I don't have to change the ISO :)

I love my D3000. Especially for my first DSLR. Once I get more used to it and learn more about photography in a year or 2 I might upgrade. But for now with the price it was good for me.

Auto ISO on the D40 huh :salute:

Why not? You can choose the shutter and the Aperture in manual and let the camera choose the ISO. Beside, the Auto ISO function allowed for a lot of various ISO like 640, 720, 900,1100, 1250, 1400, 220, 280, 320, 500 and so on. I don't have that much control over the ISO in manual mode as I can only adjusted by one full stop. The camera does a pretty good job picking the correct ISO for most situations especially in condition where light changed quickly or when I'm using it with my external flash. I don' know why you think this is a bad idea.

I think that's a bad idea because you are using a CCD sensor, and you are limited in ISO if you expect your images to come out with as little noise as possible. You're giving the camera the ability to introduce noise instead of setting up the camera to get the best shots possible with the lowest ISO possible.

I think that's a bad idea because you are using a CCD sensor, and you are limited in ISO if you expect your images to come out with as little noise as possible. You're giving the camera the ability to introduce noise instead of setting up the camera to get the best shots possible with the lowest ISO possible.

I still don't understand. For a certain situatiion, I know what kind of shutter speed and aperture I want to shoot at, I'll let my camera determine wahat ISO I'll need to expose that picture correctly. That's all. For example if I'm shooting at night, I'll put the lowest aperture and and whatever shutterspeed I need to freeze actions or what not and let my camera determine whatever ISO I need to expose my picture at whatever exposure compensation I set at. Yes, for the auto ISO purpose, you can set the exposure compensation in manual mode. If I decide that I don't don't need a high shutterspeed, then my camera would know that and not turn the ISO up so high. I think it's a very useful tool. Putting something on apeture prioirty or shutter priority is in my opinion could lead up too much more volatile result as shutterspeed and aperture have much more of an effect on the photo then ISO would .

Like I say, the Auto ISO function let you tailor the exposure of different photos while still keep what ever shutter speed and aperture that you have already set. Of course you can go around shooting manual but at times that's just not practical. Beside, auto ISO let give you option to shoot at ISO in between stop that's not otherwise possible on the D40. I have seen prints from 1600 ISO file from the D40 and as long the exposure is correct, the prints are beautiful. If you pixel peep, well, I still think 1600 ISO is okay, nothing too bad.

Most reactions

Back