Why We Switched to Nikon

I only shoot film at arranged marriages as they are both a thing of the past.

Jose Villa and Sam Blake are two well known film wedding photographers. They're not cheap.
Quality isn't cheap and I bet they are fully booked

From what I've read, Jose Villa fee starts at $15k and he's in very high demand. I don't know about Sam Blake though.
You wouldn't pay that for some joey with a D750

Maybe, maybe not.
We're those shot with 35mm film?
I have seen wedding photographers get 10k for weddings shot on MF digital. Phase one, hassy digiback, Leica...
You don't have to shoot film to get that kind of money.
But you do for the look
If you care about that look then sure.
Not everyone does.

Jose Villa and Sam Blake are two well known film wedding photographers. They're not cheap.

From what I've read, Jose Villa fee starts at $15k and he's in very high demand. I don't know about Sam Blake though.

Maybe, maybe not.
I have seen wedding photographers get 10k for weddings shot on MF digital. Phase one, hassy digiback, Leica...
But you do for the look
Not everyone does.
You would be surprised

Maybe, maybe not.
But you do for the look
Not everyone does.
You would be surprised
So would you

The few surviving full-time wedding shooters I know are too busy marketing and actually working to embarrass themselves writing self-regarding spew like this. Two out of three seem to shoot Canon, too. Doubt this will cost them much sleep.
There are also lots shooting film for weddings and I know one who is earning more money by going back to film
There are also lots of photographers ditching still shots all together and making more money shooting video.
I would never have or pay for a video of my wedding
I would never pay for film.

I guess there's something for everyone.
Funny how that works

This beats any digital capture Fine art film wedding photographer Scotland UK Europe

Film wedding photography UK and destination
Are you out of your mind? That does not beat any digital capture by an extremely long shot. Go on some photo sharing websites, such as 500px.com. Look for weddings. Rethink that horrendous comment.

The few surviving full-time wedding shooters I know are too busy marketing and actually working to embarrass themselves writing self-regarding spew like this. Two out of three seem to shoot Canon, too. Doubt this will cost them much sleep.
There are also lots shooting film for weddings and I know one who is earning more money by going back to film
There are also lots of photographers ditching still shots all together and making more money shooting video.

Funny how that works

This beats any digital capture Fine art film wedding photographer Scotland UK Europe

Are you out of your mind? That does not beat any digital capture by an extremely long shot. Go on some photo sharing websites, such as 500px.com. Look for weddings. Rethink that horrendous comment.
No way for me film looks better than digital

Has anyone debated the merits of film vs. digital?

Funny how that works

That's for YOU. Not for the millions of photographers out there. My D7100 can create images just as sharp with better bokeh than the link you posted. Not to mention the grain which does not look good.

Funny how that works

That's for YOU. Not for the millions of photographers out there. My D7100 can create images just as sharp with better bokeh than the link you posted.
And plastic looking its not all about sharpness and that over used word bokeh

I think there is a subset of people getting married today who idealize film, and pictures being "shot on film". I think that shooting film really stands out today, especially among the younger set. I see it as a way to differentiate one's business and services from the vast majority. Shooting film has become "custom"; not the norm: exotic, different, something to be used as a sort of mark of distinction. It's like a custom-built knife...it's not an off-the-rack model, but a custom, one-of-a-kind thing. Sure, it does what factory made knives do, but using a custom knife brings a sense of pride, and the owner gets satisfaction from that.

If I were a wedding shooter looking to move UP, to the higher end, to those $10k to $15k weddings, I think moving to film would be one of the smarter decisions one could make as a way to have an almost iron-clad unique selling proposition in many smaller and medium-sized markets. There must be five million weekend warriors and small studios shooting on Canon 5D-II and 5D-III kits, with the same lens sets...

How many people are offering medium format rollfilm weddings?

I think there is a subset of people getting married today who idealize film, and pictures being "shot on film". I think that shooting film really stands out today, especially among the younger set. I see it as a way to differentiate one's business and services from the vast majority. Shooting film has become "custom"; not the norm: exotic, different, something to be used as a sort of mark of distinction. It's like a custom-built knife...it's not an off-the-rack model, but a custom, one-of-a-kind thing. Sure, it does what factory made knives do, but using a custom knife brings a sense of pride, and the owner gets satisfaction from that.

More like it gives the owner some to gloat about. I bet every time they show off their photos to someone they will have to remark how it was all shot on film.

I do agree that shooting film is a great way to get the suckers err...customers to cough up more dough.

If you have to brag it was shot on film just so they know, you failed.

More like it gives the owner some to gloat about. I bet every time they show off their photos to someone they will have to remark how it was all shot on film.

I do agree that shooting film is a great way to get the suckers err...customers to cough up more dough.

I actually should have written, "something to gloat about", but I tried to be more politically correct, but runnah, you are 110% right....something to gloat about is really what I was thinking about in my head. It's like the guy with the "Hand-done diamond-tuck interior!" in his truck....or the people with the, "hand-quarried Italian marble" kitchen countertops, and so on. And yes, they would be able to say, "And these were all shot on film." I think that's actually a good selling point for the high-end wedding customer: if they book with Joe Filmby Studios, then they will have a FILM-based wedding, which verrry few others will be able to say.

Many people want something to help them justify spending a lot of money. I can understand how at the upper end of the market there would be a selling advantage to shooting film when everybody else is shooting digital.

Shooting weddings right with films require a lot more skills. You have to be an exceptional photographer to do this right. There is no checking the back of your LCD. lol It is a status symbol to let your clients know that you ARE a true professional because no new photographers would attempt this, and do it consistently and correctly.

Also, the film style of today is nothing like your parent's wedding in film.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back