Wildlife Tech-problem

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out how to shoot these little guys- Side-blotch lizards. This one is about 4 inches long and about as close as I can get to them without catching them (about 4 feet).

Anyhow, I'm trying to use some of the things I've read on the forum to do it;
Larger aperture (f5.6)
Auto focus (usually drives me nuts).

So here's what I see as the problem; I try to focus on the eye/head (in the bracket). I pull back keeping the button held down half way, compose and shoot. I keep losing the head.

768-crop-7825.jpg

Would a smaller aperture help?

I notice I have the sharpness on the camera set to 'hard' (Nikon d70), does that matter?

Any ideas?

i think he might have meant pulling sideways or something to make it so the head isnt dead center, but my technique is, if i loose focus on what i was trying to focus on, i just move the camera closer and farther away from the subject till it IS in focus, that usually works for me because i seem to have the same problem as you sometimes

I'd like to get it all in focus. Would not quite as large an aperture keep it all in?

I would think something in the f/8-10 are would be sufficient.Turn the focus all the way back and just move in until the closest end of the lizard is in focus and shoot.The dof should cover the rest of the lizard.My guess anyway, my lizard shots have been hit or miss also as those buggers dont like you getting to close.

Anyhow, thanks Flash Harry, Shorty and Firemedic. I'm going to go try some of this stuff.

Most reactions

Back