Winter Barn

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the barn up the road from us, I`ve shot it quite a few times but wasn`t happy with the results, this time I quite like the lines and textures :)

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!

Good scene and subject.

I would pull back further to get some sky and the tree tops. Also not digging the yellow.

Thanks Ron :)

Thanks R, ugh, tree lines on days with a blah sky are the bane of my existence with this kind of shot, I was kinda wishing for a little more tree to eliminate the sky but perhaps with the lines in this more sky would have worked...

Ack yellow? not good... it was a touch of sepia, I may revisit a version with no filter ;)

Thanks Ron :)

Thanks R, ugh, tree lines on days with a blah sky are the bane of my existence with this kind of shot, I was kinda wishing for a little more tree to eliminate the sky but perhaps with the lines in this more sky would have worked...

Ack yellow? not good... it was a touch of sepia, I may revisit a version with no filter ;)

A bit of white sky would have balanced out with the white snow drawing the eye towards the middle.

Methinks you may be onto something here, right now my eye is most drawn to the field then up the barn, bringing that line down by adding in another "layer" will change that... unfortunately this is the full frame so I will have to reshoot, good thing it's just up the road ;) lol

Here it is w/o a filter...

I like this shot a lot, and the second version minus the filter even better! I do like the snug look of your close crop, but in this case standing back a bit father to get some sky and let the tree tops show might have strengthened it a little. :) You are lucky to have such an interesting subject to play with year round! I love the fenceline in the foreground.

I like this shot a lot, and the second version minus the filter even better! I do like the snug look of your close crop, but in this case standing back a bit father to get some sky and let the tree tops show might have strengthened it a little. :) You are lucky to have such an interesting subject to play with year round! I love the fenceline in the foreground.

Thanks Ron! It's definitely cleaner!

Thanks Terri :) I'm surely going to shoot it again, they have llamas that I keep trying to catch in that area but they are so darn curious that they come to you immediately lol

I quite like the fence line also, in the past I've tried to avoid it for some reason, had an idea stuck in my head that I couldn't see past I suppose ;) it's a lesson in listening to what you actually see, not what you THINK you see or what you WANT to see but what you DO see!

it's a lesson in listening to what you actually see, not what you THINK you see or what you WANT to see but what you DO see!

I completely understand this! :)

I quite like the fence line also, in the past I've tried to avoid it for some reason, had an idea stuck in my head that I couldn't see past I suppose ;) it's a lesson in listening to what you actually see, not what you THINK you see or what you WANT to see but what you DO see!
This sounds like surrender of your creativity. If you didn't notice this, read it:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/347215-what-means-photography-you-exactly.html
I think the point is, I really don't want to see a photograph of just reality, I want to see a photograph of your version of world. If you don't like that fence, don't surrender to it. IMO it is better to pass on potential picture, than present something you not 100% happy with. This is my angle :), but then I don't have much to show. Such a big photographer I am. :biglaugh:

This sounds like surrender of your creativity. If you didn't notice this, read it:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/347215-what-means-photography-you-exactly.html
I think the point is, I really don't want to see a photograph of just reality, I want to see a photograph of your version of world. If you don't like that fence, don't surrender to it. IMO it is better to pass on potential picture, than present something you not 100% happy with. This is my angle :), but then I don't have much to show. Such a big photographer I am. :biglaugh:

That is an interesting take on what she said. OTOH, why not attempt to learn how to work with and frame the reality of what is in front of you? :) I am far from a firm proponent of shooting "just" for realism's sake, but there is something to be said for her effort. Besides, it isn't a bad image at all; especially once the color cast was removed.

I've stopped by this post three times now, a bit hesitant to leave a comment. Honestly, for me this composition does not work well; I find my eye drawn to that dark spot in the woods, over and over and over. The barn feels squished in in the upper right, sort of pushed there into the corner, too high and too far off to the side to be of any interest. The low vantage point, and the strong, upward diagonal lines of the two hills force the eye out, below the barn. That stick, protruding from the fence post on the net-wire fence...ughh...that is a major distraction. I think if the camera had been moved to the left maybe 30,40 feet, that this might pull together, but as shown it's just not a successful composition to me. It's hard to put into words, but to me the snowfield in the foreground seems to be a real draw to my eye--as well as that doggone stick! Maybe cloning out the stick would help some, but I just think the barn is "crammed into" the picture and it just doesn't feel, for lack of a better word, "organic". It feels forced.

That is an interesting take on what she said. OTOH, why not attempt to learn how to work with and frame the reality of what is in front of you? :) I am far from a firm proponent of shooting "just" for realism's sake, but there is something to be said for her effort. Besides, it isn't a bad image at all; especially once the color cast was removed.
Of course we have to learn to work in surrounding us real, physical world, there is no other choice. What I am thinking, there are battles we should walk away from or fight harder. On this image I am rather with Derrel, I don't like the fore plan at all and when comes to fight, I don't know, how inconvenient it would be for Judy to go to the owner and ask the permission to enter. This barn looks good as a photo subject, but not from that far, not with the fence "in the face" of viewer. (IMO).

Most reactions

Back