Would love some CC on these toddler photos

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Luth34, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Luth34

Luth34 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First of all thanks so much for the tips everyone! This is exactly the types of things I was looking for. This is all much better than my family thinking I am awesome because I have a camera different than my phone.

@jaomul and @SquarePeg with the little guy always moving I have read so many places that say keep it around f/6.3 to make sure you can get the depth of field. Is it better to keep the aperture opened and kind of let them run into focus? I always assumed I would just be able to crop out the unnecessary parts. Thanks for your help!

@JonA_CT I am shooting in Aperture Priority mode, as I have seen a lot of professionals say this is what they shoot in the most. I tend to play around with my aperture as I shoot due to distance changes etc. and that is why is comes out as random looking. Am I better off practicing in a single aperture to get a feel for it and then next time try different aperture setting?

@Braineack thanks for the true critique and honest. Much appreciated coming from someone that is an awesome photographer. Thanks for looking at it with such a close. Definitely helps me to look at the whole shot and try to visualize it before taking it.

When it comes to focus I tend to let it auto focus. With this camera am I better off instead of using the face recognition trying to focus point myself?

While I agree my baby is pretty cute, I thank you all for taking the time to comment. Definitely gives me new things to try and read up on!

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

If you're using single point AF, you should be able to get good focus at wider apertures than 6.3. Focus on the near eye. Kids move a lot but a fast shutter speed can help with freezing motion. Looking at an online DOF calculator can be helpful in knowing what settings to use. I'm not one for super shallow DOF in child's portraits - I like more than just one eye in focus! - but I think you can open it up a little and still get what you're looking for.