Would you or wouldn't you?

Noonz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So one of my best mates asked me if he could borrow my camera the other day (he doesn't know how to use any of the settings, just wanted the camera for the quality). I said i would rather he didn't, and i would like to be there if he needed to use it.

Overall, what i would like to know is.. would you lend your camera to your friend without you being present?

Thank you. ;)

Depends on the friend. And depending also on what and where they plan on using it.

A friend of mine is loaning my a 70-200 2.8 L IS and a 300 4 L IS for a sports shoot I have. No questions, no nothing. And he knows that should he need any of my stuff, he can borrow it no issues, nothing.

But thats him. Would I loan my stuff out to just anyone? No. But there are a few friends I know that I would loan the stuff to if they asked. I also know that these friends are financially stable enough to buy me a new one of whatever should they break what I lend them.

I probably wouldn't unless they've shot dslr before or own one. I don't have that problem b/c none of them know how to work it lol.

I'm even nervous when my wife takes it to take pics of the new niece ....

HELL TO THE NO. :)

^^^ This. I barely let my HUSBAND touch it when I *AM* there. :lol:

This is why, after 10 years, I still buy my wife drinks. Wait, are we still talking about cameras?

To the OP: Depends on the friend. I have two who I would trust implicitly.

On a recent camping trip someone offered to take a picture for me, I respectfully declined and gave my camera to a friend who owned a DSLR of her own. Too expensive of gear to hand to someone who hasn't used it before. Granted, they can't screw it up by using it, but its just a trust thing.

I also know that these friends are financially stable enough to buy me a new one of whatever should they break what I lend them.

That's the key.
Agreed. Also on the point of "depends on the friend."

Would I let a photographer friend of mine, who is shooting my own wedding and I help with shoots and weddings often, borrow something from me? In a heartbeat.

Would I let some friend who has no clue what they're doing, and just wants it "for the quality?" Not a chance. My brother-in-law-to-be brought up the idea of using my camera at my wedding (despite me having 2 pros there) just to get some fun additional shots (would have to be in Auto). I shrugged that off as nicely as I could, but definitely not something I plan on doing.

I also know that these friends are financially stable enough to buy me a new one of whatever should they break what I lend them.

That's the key.
Agreed. Also on the point of "depends on the friend."

Would I let a photographer friend of mine, who is shooting my own wedding and I help with shoots and weddings often, borrow something from me? In a heartbeat.

Would I let some friend who has no clue what they're doing, and just wants it "for the quality?" Not a chance. My brother-in-law-to-be brought up the idea of using my camera at my wedding (despite me having 2 pros there) just to get some fun additional shots (would have to be in Auto). I shrugged that off as nicely as I could, but definitely not something I plan on doing.

Thats why I kept my XSI when I upgraded to a 7D. Should there be someone who wants to use it for the "quality" and they are someone I would trust to keep the equipment safe, they can get the XSI. Loaning out my 7D is only for people I know who are photographers (or would be photographers) and understand the gear.

To answer the OP's question, "Oh, hell no."

A friend of mine is loaning my a 70-200 2.8 L IS and a 300 4 L IS for a sports shoot I have. No questions, no nothing. And he knows that should he need any of my stuff, he can borrow it no issues, nothing.

This is a little different. Most of my friends can't imagine dropping $1k on a car, much less a lens or body. The person you're referencing here obviously knows the knows the value of the items. So do you.

And I'm guessing your friend also knows that you will (and can) replace anything you destroy.

I don't have friends that I trust that way.

In this situation...definitely not. If I had a friend who was into photography and had their own gear...needing to borrow mine for some reason, AND I knew they treated their gear really well...then yeah, I'd have no problem at all.

Different from other's in here...I'm MORE than willing to let my wife use my camera anytime she wants....two reasons

1. The only chance I have of getting good photos that I am in....I set the settings, she fires away, I do the post work and the photos come out probably 85% as good as if I shot them.

2. If she drops and/or breaks something (say my D90) then it will be VERY easy for me to talk her into replacing it with an upgrade (D300).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back