Wow!!!

CMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anybody ever heard of Tom Dempsey? He's one of my favorite photographers, and he's taken some spectacular shots. And I do mean spectacular.

So, I was browsing his website this evening, as I often do, and I noticed the link to his Photo Equipment page. I clicked on it, automatically thinking that since the pictures were so good in quality, he must be using a 1Ds MK II, or something like that. Was I ever wrong...he uses a Canon 8 MP compact P&S!!!

Try clicking "Tom's Portfolio of Published Images" and "Wyoming, Grand Teton" to start. You'll be amazed.

http://www.photoseek.com/index.html

It's not your equipment it's how you use it *giggle*.

I used to think I needed a better camera then I watched a show about a cop who's a photographer on the side and for a youth program they got a bunch of teens that were prone to... being trouble makes and a life of crime (poor kids and whatnot).
Gave them all disposable cameras and wondered the streets taking pictures.
The point was to get them interested in something and involved in the community to help lead them down a better path.
ANYWAYS, some of the pictures were fantastic.
Even the cop/photographer said that he has all this fancy equipment and these kids took better pictures with disposable ones.

It really is the photographer behind the camera.

That said, it didn't make me stop saving for that 30D with the Canon 17-85 USM, Sigma 70-300 and the f/1.4 USM 50mm prime and go out and buy a nicer point and shoot... :mrgreen:

Hooold on, then how come there is a picture of him in Canada with a SLR? ;) On a more serious note, his work truly does capture the beauty of all of his travels.

neea said:
... I watched a show about a cop who's a photographer on the side and for a youth program...

Not to derail this thread but there's an awesome documentary out that relates to this topic called Born Into Brothels.

It's about a journalist who travels to India (I think India... it's been awhile) to document the women that work in brothels to survive. They have children there who are raised in that setting and end up "working" there around the age of 13 - 14. Anyway... after being there for a bit and talking to these people the children take interest in her camera. She shows them some basics and ends up handing out a bunch of P&S's to a group of kids. They run around on the streets taking pics of anything and some end up having their photos sold and get into art school.

Just to REALLY derail this thread watching that movie made me wonder what it would be like for a child to be a photographer having no inhibitions, no embarrassment, no fear and no preconceived biases. Just an open mind and a camera.

I think there's a misconception of the modern "P&S" camera. They aren't really just "point and shoots". The basic disposable film camera is a p&s. You can't change anything on it; all you can do is point and shoot. The cheap digital Intel camera I had bought my (now ex) girlfriend's daughter was a p&s. Many of the other modern digitals are full-fledged cameras. They have zoom lenses, so you can adjust focal length; you can change the ISO, shutter, and aperture; there are often other enhancement settings you can change. That's a far cry from a p&s. Sure, the lenses aren't interchangeable, but that's not what makes a camera a p&s. Most of those cameras are really, really good. And since his is 8MP, which is more than my 6.3MP DSLR, I'll bet it isn't lacking in features.

Again, not to take away from the idea that it's the photographer that determines the true quality of the photo. But I think it's important to be realistic about the role of equipment in getting there. It's not like he was doing it with one of these. You can take great shots with one, but not this.

Personally I like the concept of the advanced pns or bridge camera. If the panasonic dizzy50 was larger, so that it didn't get lost in my purse, I would probably go that way... If I ever bought one that is.

I would not hesitate a minute to shoot a wedding with it. Well maybe not YOUR wedding lol.

When an accomplished photographer friend of mine who teaches it at the university level tried digital, he grabbed one of the smaller Canons and loves it. It does everything he needs.

mysteryscribe said:
Personally I like the concept of the advanced pns or bridge camera. If the panasonic dizzy50 was larger, so that it didn't get lost in my purse, I would probably go that way... If I ever bought one that is.

I would not hesitate a minute to shoot a wedding with it. Well maybe not YOUR wedding lol.

I would not hesitate to use one of these cameras either; I think there are at least a few DSLR users that have them simply because they think they are taken more seriously toting an SLR, or something like that.

Tom Dempsey's work is good. Not like it is outstanding. I mean that is is hard to go wrong with sunrise on the Tetons. He seems more like a scientist as opposed to a photographer. That is fine. Just not my style.

So once again we are into the photographers perception of the camera. Do as you feel and never follow. That is the best advice. You create the final outcome. Not the camera or other tools.

I just noticed this thread.

Had to comment,

I absolutely love point and shoot type cameras and they have their place.

I learned to shoot digitally on a sony cybershot and many people cant tell a lot of my old shots apart from full fledged dslr or film shots

But, there are tools for the job. While all of that guys shots look great.

I can see room for improvment in the noise levels, dynamic range and
overall resolution.

You will have size limitations as far as how large you can safley print with a P&S size sensor, how fast you can shoot, and how much control you have over the picture,

the ironic thing is that a lot of times you might take better shots with the P&S because you arent worrying about the details, your just shooting.

When your shooting your dslr or slr longer, you memorize all that stuff anyways so tis second nature and your not really thinking about it...
so, I envy the simplicity, but not the limitations.

Plus. for commercial (printed/AD work )you just cannot use something with such a small sensor, sure it looks fine 300 x 600 at 96 dpi, but what about
when the art director needs a 3000 x 4000 300ppi original from which to work with. the noise levels and bloating in the resolution are more apparent in the hands of these guys. Youll get nailed for it in no time.

for normal stuff like up to 16 x 20, or around there, or web stuff, they are quick and easy and cant be beat....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back