Yippie! I'm screwed!

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Cannot mount disk ... Cannot unmount disk. Yep. I'm ****ed up a stream without a paddle with my hands at my ankles.

Starting to think a solid state drive is worth the investment.

No hope at all? There are several ways you can get the data back (or at least part of it)... Can't help myself, but could ask a friend if noone answers from the forum ;)

Well. I was being a bit dramatic. Most recent backup was on May 23rd. I'm pretty sure all that happened between now and then was the intentional drowning of a few Sims. I checked, and all my most recent photographs are present on the backup.

The drive cannot be mounted, but when I go to erase the drive, combine partitions, or repair it, it cannot be unmounted. It's like hard drive purgatory. I have the original 250GB drive that came with the computer though...

that sucks. SSD's are nice but not devoid of problems either. for images and other important files I like to use a RAID1 setup for the redundancy. but I still have my personal computer on RAID0 though since I like to live on the edge...heh

I don't mind Apple's Time Machine dif- interface, but I do mind physical, irrepairable failure ... which SSDs are pretty safe from.

Unless anyone has any ideas of how to mount it (or unmount it for that matter) the HDD is toast is going to be thrown in the recycling bin.

unpopular said:
I don't mind Apple's Time Machine dif- interface, but I do mind physical, irrepairable failure ... which SSDs are pretty safe from.

Unless anyone has any ideas of how to mount it (or unmount it for that matter) the HDD is toast is going to be thrown in the recycling bin.

Whoa whoa hold on Tex lol. Regardless if it's 3.5 or 2.5, throw that drive into an encloser and use it as an external HHD, to get your info. It will only work if there is no physical damage.

I am thinking that there there is physical damage. I cannot mount or unmount the drive, it's in limbo - paradoxically as if it is simutaniously mounted and unmounted at the same time. I have a bootable partition on my backup drive, which I am using now. It's just the installer for mac os x, which incidentally has Safari as well.

The drive is in some sort of quantum mechanics thing I cannot explain. I can't repair nor erase it. If I try to mount it it says it cannot be mounted. If I try to erase it it says that it cannot be unmounted. If I try to boot it, it boots into safe mode, but logs me out the moment I try to log in.

Two other small partition do work, so maybe no physical damage? But i am thinking there is physical damage. The drive makes the machine very hot and when the accelerometer kicks in, the whole computer shuts off. I confused this for a central power issue, but I am convinced it is the HD since these issues don't occur with the external drive I am using now.

I kind of want to keep it just because it's so weird. Like its posessed.

It may very well be also be a mainboard issue, but let's hope not. One thing at a time.

But no worries. There is no important data on it that isn't backed up.

Last edited:
Cannot mount disk ... Cannot unmount disk. Yep. I'm ****ed up a stream without a paddle with my hands at my ankles.

Starting to think a solid state drive is worth the investment.

THINK AGAIN! I literally JUST RMA'd my 2.5 MONTH old SSD that failed today. It doesn't even recognize anything is connected to the computer.

YIKES!

Ok, thanks for that. I'll stick to regular HDDs given their cost then. Just for the record though, was this an internal or external SSD?

Try looking at Data Rescue 3 (Prosoft Engineering). They have a trial that will allow a file or two to be recovered - not much but at least you can see if it will mount the disk without spending anything.

take it out and put it in the freezer.

Well. I was being a bit dramatic. Most recent backup was on May 23rd. I'm pretty sure all that happened between now and then was the intentional drowning of a few Sims. I checked, and all my most recent photographs are present on the backup.

The drive cannot be mounted, but when I go to erase the drive, combine partitions, or repair it, it cannot be unmounted. It's like hard drive purgatory. I have the original 250GB drive that came with the computer though...

Find another computer... download GPARTED, and burn it to a disk. Boot from that disk.... it should allow you to get into it, unless the drive is actually damaged. GParted -- Download

There are other tools available if you need them.... let me know. Sounds like your backup makes this a non-issue though...

You are on a MAC? Don't know if GPARTED is MAC compatible, so be careful! lol!

YIKES!

Ok, thanks for that. I'll stick to regular HDDs given their cost then. Just for the record though, was this an internal or external SSD?

I run multiple SSD's at home, and at work.. no issues. My suggestion is to stay away from bargain basement type drives though. Most SSD's have a huge MTBF rating.. so even if you defrag them (unnecessary), index them (useful in some instances), or do any of the other internet popular "BAD for SSD" things.. they will typically still outlive you.. and will definitely outlive your system.

We use SSD's in every laptop we send out to the field (OIL and GAS) for our pumpers and such to use! If they can't break them.. no one can! lol!

Most reactions

Back