Your thoughts on the nikon 80-200

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking into faster telephoto lenses lately for photojournalism. I was looking at sigmas and tamrons (70-200 f/2.8) lenses but I would like to stick with nikon lenses.

So I stumbled across a nikon 80-200 on craigslist. (for $400!(I think thats good)) So it seems to be a nice lens and I can really use the 2.8. But I watched the review from nikon help hotline and they said its the 2nd worst lens (the 18-200 was first on their list) But Ken Rockwell said it was pretty good.

So anyone here have one? Anything else to add?

Whoever says that the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 is Nikon's second worst lens is a bone head. It's one of their best, especially the last iteration of it (two-ring).

I own one (the two-ring, not the push-pull), and it's excellent. Do some Googling on it and you should find some very positive reviews.

so i should see if its 2 ring? if its one ring is that BAD?

Somebody is pulling your leg. Seriously.

There is a reason the lens is still being sold even though its replacement has been out for years!!! It's a damned good lens. Even the push pull was a good lens, just slower in focusing. The lens is still available new!! It's in a price range that competes with third party lenses. If you can do without VR or OS/IS or what ever Sigma and the others call it. It is a very good fast lens! Had mine over 10 years now. As good as the day I got it. :thumbup:

Mine is the newer version.

Someone is pulling the leg about this being the second worst.

It's one of my most favourite and sharpest lenses. It's an investment worth making, a dream to use, and handles every situation except closest focus @ 200mm @ f/2.8 with very exceptionally good quality. Although it's very soft at the above setting, but that's the only setting.

Guess I got suckered, but even I am not stupid enough to believe anything that Ken Rockwell says about anything. And whomever quotes KR, or refers to his reviews doesn't have much credibility with me either.

I have had a copy of the 80-200 and liked it even if it was push-pull vesion, but the 18-200mm (even if IQ is good), wasn't one of my favorite lenses while I had it.

I just didn't see it as being THAT much better for the extra $$ than the 55-200mm VR and the 18-55mm were, and the $400 price difference makes changing lenses worth it to me. And all my 52mm filters will fit the 55-200mm and the 18-55mm.

And my 55-200mm VR doesn't have that annoying rattle the 18-200mm did.

And my 55-200mm has never had lens creep.

And I LOVE my Sigma 18-50mm HSM Macro constant 2.8 I got to replace my 18-200.

Yeah I like my 55-200VR but I need to shoot in low light allot so I think it would be worth it.

Yeah I like my 55-200VR but I need to shoot in low light allot so I think it would be worth it.

Have a look at it and take a couple test shots at different ranges and settings. And if its an older push pull. Just go "Oh, its an OLD push pull model", " I was thinking it was the new design model", "well I am not so sure". :lol: You may get it for a better price. :thumbup:

Seems to be a rush on the store for Nikon 80-200's lately. Going to be a sad day when they do finally give up on it. I have my equipment insured for replacement value. On most of my D-type 2.8's that means the price of AF-S (and sometimes VR) lenses. But the 80-200 f/2.8D is still made so no insurance check for a new 70-200 f/2.8AF-S VRII for me. Not that I am planning a loss mind you.

And whomever quotes KR, or refers to his reviews doesn't have much credibility with me either.

Funny, since I find KR more consistent and useful than 90% of the posters on this forum. Nevermind that KR loves the 80-200 (in all of its iterations), but hey - nothing wrong with false statements.

In any case there are TWO push-pull models. One is slightly older than the other, but focuses slower. Im sure the model you are going to look at is the Push-Pull as no one is selling any of the two-rings for anything less than 600. Check here for what to look for to determine what model of the lens the fellow has, and barter appropriately.

ive heard the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF version auto focuses slow, would it be too slow for sports?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back