1/4 mile along the Susquahanna River

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We were on a trail along the Susquahanna River this weekend. So sad to not see anything but heron. We hear there are a lot of eagles there but the trees and brush cover everything overhead and most of the view of the river too. We did hear a big screechy bird sound overhead and saw large wings and branches moving through a small open area. That's as close as we got to an eagle. We passed other walkers who told us about Indigo Buntings and deer, but for us nothing. Then we turned back - and in the space of a quarter mile things started jumping out and landing in front of us. It was like someone was playing a joke on us. I finally said all we were missing was a snake, then I hear hubby yell SNAKE. It was moving quite fast across the path, gratefully so, he was kinda big. I did everything wrong. Deer pics on program so they were blurry (very shaded path), then switched it to "S" and it was set really high from something earlier so they were really dark. Sometimes the memories just have to be in your head. Anyway, here's the days tally. Oh, on the drive home there was ring neck pheasant on the side of the road trying to get through a fence. So, he was kind of captive long enough to get a shot of him too.

1. Black and White butterfly
Butterfly3468resized.jpg

2. Orange and Black butterfly
Butterfly3481resized.jpg

3. Cormorant taking flight
Cormorant3488resized.jpg

4. Deer about to cross path
Deer3461resized.jpg

5. Any ideas? A walker asked if we had seen these and indeed we had the pic to show him but no info about it.
GreenBug3470resized.jpg

6. Heron - they always seem to take off away from me.
Heronflyingaway3476resized.jpg

7. Heron
Herononrock3455resized.jpg

8. Indigo Bunting per another walker, I don't really know.
IndigoBunting3475resized.jpg

9. Spider
Spiderinweb3482resized.jpg

10. Wasp, the camera had a hernia trying to focus on this guy at 300mm. This is a pretty big crop too. If I hadn't seen him land I would never have know he was in the leaves.
Wasp3471resized.jpg

11. And finally - the blurry snake with no head.
Snake3477resized.jpg

Your green bug is a "six spotted tiger beetle". I had never seen one of them until this spring at Kernsville dam in Hamburg - they were all over the place! Shots 1 & 2 are beautiful! Nice exposure, composition and a nice crisp focus. :thumbup:

Thanks Dagwood. I'm trying to relay to someone on the trail now. Amazing how we can pass info along isn't it. Funny you saw them at a dam. I was right near "Conowingo Dam", just over the PA border in Maryland.

Do you ever go down toward the Jersey Shore? There is a place called "Edwin B Forsythe Wildlife Refuge" which is just off Rt 9 in Galloway Township. Its just past "Smithville Village". Its an 8 mile drive thru loop around wetland areas - egrets, great blue herons, Night Herons, canadian and snow geese, comorants, bald eagles, falcons, foxes, deer, turtles & more. There is an observatory you can climb and a short hiking path also about midway through -- this is not to be confused with the Brigintine Wildlife refuge in Beach Haven [also part of Edwin Forsythe] the place in Beach Haven is restricted - no access.

all are excellent shots...i like comorant very much....both butterfly shots are awesome...and the 5th is most beautiful. thanks.

Do you ever go down toward the Jersey Shore? There is a place called "Edwin B Forsythe Wildlife Refuge" which is just off Rt 9 in Galloway Township. Its just past "Smithville Village". Its an 8 mile drive thru loop around wetland areas - egrets, great blue herons, Night Herons, canadian and snow geese, comorants, bald eagles, falcons, foxes, deer, turtles & more. There is an observatory you can climb and a short hiking path also about midway through -- this is not to be confused with the Brigintine Wildlife refuge in Beach Haven [also part of Edwin Forsythe] the place in Beach Haven is restricted - no access.

Thanks Dagwood, you do know the places to go. I'll print off. If I can get vertical in the mornings, Garmin and I try to do something on the weekends.

Most reactions

Back