10-22mm EFS seems to be autofocus even when set manual

TWX

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, not sure how widespread this is. I picked up a cheap 10-22mm EFS, other day when I set the switch to manual focus, it still seems to be autofocusing. Since it's full time manual focus override this isn't a massive problem, but certainly is an annoying quirk.

Anyone else see this in this lens or other lenses?

I took the lens apart today and figured out what was wrong.

Gallery Here.

Long story short, the actual switch on the PCB has a missing tab, which means that the sliding mechanism on the outside of the case is not able to actuate the switch.

I suppose I should add, I managed to get the broken microswitch into manual focus mode before reassembly. We'll see what I do from here depending on costs. Looks like a PCB is $60-$100 depending on the source.

And subsequently, realizing I could enable back button autofocus, I've disassembled the lens again, switched the microswitch back to AF, and removed the focus function from the shutter button, so that BBAF controls focus, and the shutter button only does metering/exposure plus shutter.

While I had it apart, the microswitch inside is approximately 7mm wide, 3mm deep, and 1mm tall. If you find yourself in a similar situation with a broken-off tang on this 10-22mm Canon EF-S lens. I will eventually track down another microswitch and replace it, the soldering requires experience but not insane experience.

That is a relatively inexpensive lens. Paying 60 to $100 for a PCB does not seem like a good economy to me

That is a relatively inexpensive lens. Paying 60 to $100 for a PCB does not seem like a good economy to me
Yeah, I know. That's part why I haven't done it and why I'm playing with back button autofocus. I kind of wish that the camera button could be configured to cycle through modes, single quick press to enable or disable shutter-button AF, and holding it would engage in back button AF and return to manual when let go.

In the meantime I'll keep looking for the switch and for any broken lenses where the PCB is intact, like where a lens was dropped on its front element.

Good gallery on the teardown!

Reactions: TWX

Most reactions

Back