100% beginner!

Also, an option for macro photography on a budget would be turning the lens around with an adapter. I haven't tried this, But I have seen some good results from it.

The D40 does a decent job on macro shots with the kit lens.. It has a decent focus range on it. I took this shot with it.. but its also at like a 100% crop.. the image couldn't really be made any larger.

http://tonyparker.smugmug.com/photos/347707341_pYgra-M.jpg

I won't link it as an image so that it won't clutter up the thread.

Wow!! That's with just the kit lens? That's really impressive.

Also, an option for macro photography on a budget would be turning the lens around with an adapter. I

I don't recommend this method; it is economical, but it has a couple of disadvantages. You have NO auto functions whatsoever, and there's a very real danger of damage to the rear element of the lens, or any of the contacts/connections on the back, as well as a much greater chance for dust and dirt to get into the lens. There's also the fact that the filter threads at the front of the lens (by which these adaptors attach) are meant to support a filter or two, NOT the weight of the lens.

If I may, what I'd suggest you do, since it appears that you haven't fully settled on one particular camera yet, is go around to your local cameras stores, pick up the different bodies, try them out, have the salesmen explain the featuers of each one and then think about a decision. While economics is a big factor, it's not the only one, and you may find that you want to wait a little while longer to save for a totally different camera, because after playing with it, "It's the one".

A 55-200mm zoom is a telephoto zoom, essentially for magnifying the scene or bringing things from fara away "in close"

Filters are used to add effects to an image, help resolve exposure issues, and add artistic touchs. There are too many to discuss, but once you've settled on a camera, they're something to consider.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to actual stores today so I can get a better look at some of the cameras I was considering. And my budget is very flexible. I don't mind saving for a couple more months if I really want the camera...

That lens sounds nice, but ultimately not for me. Obviously I'll take pictures of SOME faraway things, but if my main interest is macro, then I'll already be close to it. :D

Good luck today with your search, getting out there and handling each is a great thing to do. Then go home and sleep on it.... Hopefully we will be adding another happy nikon owner to this great site.:smileys:

Yes, hopefully.
I only got to see a few cameras today, and I didn't find the nikon I liked online. I'll try another day.
I wonder if I'd be allowed to take pictures with a camera in the store? To see how they turn out, I mean. I'd hate to spend so much money without trying it myself first.

Yes if its a camera store they will let you take pictures with the camera, the best thing to do is to take pics with each, on your own memory card, then bring them home and compare on the computer.

And also, if im not mistaken, the erganomics of the d60, (which they will probably have) should be pretty darn close to the d40, someone who's used both can confirm or deny though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back