10000 shots spent

panzershreck said:
i often wonder if construction guys sit around arguing over the future of the nail since screws are so plentiful, cheap, and better vs. quantity of nails and the nail gun, or the nail gun vs. the "obsolete" hammer :scratch:

OT Again!

Each fastener has it's own job and for some jobs you must use a nail & others you must use a screw!

Oh and NO liquid nails glue will ever be adequate for the job! If you're supposed to nail or screw it then do so! Actually I should be promoting the use of liquid nails as it keeps me in work replacing & refitting stuff the DIY guy stuck to the wall!:lol:

Back on topic though there is a job for everything whether it's as simple of using something obsolete just for personal enjoyment!

Back on topic though there is a job for everything whether it's as simple of using something obsolete just for personal enjoyment!

Unless one or more of those "things" has such a lack of demand that manufacturing is ceased. Like the buggy whip, we could still hand manufacture film and chemistry, but at an extreme cost and investment of time and effort. At some point, no manufacturing production line can continue if sufficient demand is not there.

That I've used myself? 5MP
That I own myself? 3MP
That I've played with shots from? About 25MP-ish (I think?) but this was before I really understood what MP's were about. I don't know what kind of huge I was expecting but I remember being a bit disappointed with the actual pixel dimensions. :lol:

Marctwo said:
That I've used myself? 5MP
That I own myself? 3MP
That I've played with shots from? About 25MP-ish (I think?) but this was before I really understood what MP's were about. I don't know what kind of huge I was expecting but I remember being a bit disappointed with the actual pixel dimensions. :lol:

25MP? Was it a digital back??

I know what you mean about the actual dimensions. People assume 10MP is twice as big as 5MP, which it is in pixel count. But in order to double the actual dimensions, it would have to be a 25MP not simply 10.

Wow - that's timing. I just opened this thread to post this link to an article that may (or may not) be of interest to any big MP fans.
jadin said:
25MP? Was it a digital back??
I'd think so. I didn't know anything about cameras at the time and was actually searching the net for info on MP's to help me choose a digital camera. After a lot of reading I eventually decided that 3MP would be fine for the occasional 10 x 8.

There is always a limit to everything - and digital is no exception.
The more pixels you have for capture, the more complicated the chip becomes, the bigger the file being outputted becomes, the bigger and faster the computer handling it has to become, the more ram you need, bigger HD, bigger capacity DVD's for storage.
And that's even before you start looking at printing.
All of this increases costs to the consumer - and the more expensive you go the fewer people buy. Which in turn means less incentive to the manufacturer to develop and make bigger cameras.
Look at the world of film cameras.
Of course you can get bigger, better and more expensive cameras - but how much of the actual consumer market do they take up? The top-end professional stuff occupies barely 5%. Something like 50% of the market is held by simple point-and-shoot and disposables.
So ask yourself - how many average consumers are ever going to need a 20Meg plus camera? Not enough to bring the price down to an affordable level, I think.
The response is more likely to be 'my 5 Meg is good enough for what I want'.
It may even become 'the camera in my 'phone does all I require.'
It will certainly be 'I'd love one but it's out of my price range'.
This isn't to say that pixel size will not slowly rise over time as manufacturing processes get more refined - but I think the days of big bumps in pixel size are getting near their end - certainly in the mass market - and manufacturers will start concentrating more on the software side to make gains there.

i disagree! digital cameras based on digital technology will continue to improve just like computer technology. price per pixel has already come down and these 12mp nikons and 16mp canons will be in the 1000 and under price point in the future. and since computer technology will go hand in hand the file sizes will not be a problem. both ram and hard drives prices have dropped.

i can't say i understand why anyone would be against more pixels. that's kind of like saying computers should stop improving it's only overkill. and hi-def tv is overkill. it's technological improvement. why limit technological improvment? not that it matters because digital cameras will be continued to be manufactured with sensors with ever increasing amount of pixels. my first digital had 3.3mp, my second had 4.9mp, my third had 8mp, and they were all the same price. my fourth however i have already been hit by the increase in technology only a couple months after puchasing my nikon d2x 12mp. now you can get 10mp for 1/4th the price in a smaller lighter form factor. or i could have gone to canon and gotten aprox. the same mp for 60% of the price and had a full frame sensor to boot!

the only problem i see with the ever increasing technology is the shorter period to obsolesence of the equipment we buy. the higher end digitals should be based more on a modular system where the parts can be replaced to keep up with the increase in technology w/o the need to purchase a whole new camera.

We still return to the problem with 35mm format. At about 22 MP in full frame, the sensor will outstrip the best lens ability to resolve that fine a detail. The D2X has already shown us flaws in what we once thought to be outstanding glass. At some point we will see MP count not going higher, but the cameras becoming smaller, lighter, more rugged and faster. This is where the manufacturers will spend there R&D dollars.

jstuedle said:
Unless one or more of those "things" has such a lack of demand that manufacturing is ceased. Like the buggy whip, we could still hand manufacture film and chemistry, but at an extreme cost and investment of time and effort. At some point, no manufacturing production line can continue if sufficient demand is not there.

that would freak me out, i'd have to quit photography until i could afford a camera the cost of a car that goes out of date in 4 years anyways

i gave up caring about computers for the same reason, too expensive, as much of an investment as buying food is a "long term" investment

jstuedle said:
We still return to the problem with 35mm format. At about 22 MP in full frame, the sensor will outstrip the best lens ability to resolve that fine a detail. The D2X has already shown us flaws in what we once thought to be outstanding glass. At some point we will see MP count not going higher, but the cameras becoming smaller, lighter, more rugged and faster. This is where the manufacturers will spend there R&D dollars.
why can't there be improvements made in the maunfacturing of lens?

that would freak me out, i'd have to quit photography until i could afford a camera the cost of a car that goes out of date in 4 years anyways

The economy of scale will bring down the cost of Digital. We already see it starting. Who would have thought 5 years ago that a 3 MP P&S could be had today for $150, or a 6 MP DSLR for $700. Heck, I gave 5K for a camera back then, 10 years ago, half the camera cost 25K. Today a "single use" digital is in the works for $25. These reductions in cost are what is going to kill film. It may take 10 years, maybe much longer, but its days are numbered.

Just to jump in here:

I'm about the same - 10,000 off pics since Jan this year. I also shoot bands, so there is most certainly a low hit % as you have no control. Also with weddings. But in regards to sorting etc my pics out, I was ahead of myself ( for the first time EVER ) and actually organised my folders etc within the first few weeks of having a digital.. This is how I organise my workflow ( works for me.. might work for you..?)
a) 2005 Photos
b) 4 folders : Raw, Editing, Ready, Web Ready.
c) Under each of the above folders I have another 6 folders - People, Gigs, Places, Artistic ,Studio/Wedding and Animals
d) Then under each of these folders I have the specific downloaded info folders ie: Names of bands, Surnames for wedding, Under Places I have 3 folders - Grass,Beach,City , under People I have Family or Friends, Under animals I have Wild or Pets etc etc

It helps me to atleast be able to narrow down my seach to only a few minutes at that!

And the funny thing is: I have my Final Portfolio due for College, and do you think I can decide on which 10 pics I want... All my other class mates have the opposite, not enough shots.. Me: too many.

Hope this helps someone. It has certainly helped me.

Katie

Those interested in tech might find Moores law interesting: http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/silicon/moores-law-0405.htm

To my mind it's kind of like the car - a triumph of engineering over a flawed design. The dSLR cameras are all trying to be a film SLR by emulating the properties of a mechanical camera but using electronics instead of film.

I tend to think the next breakthrough will occur in the lower more profitable compact arena where the vast majority of the profits are to be had selling to the masses. A camera which uses electronic functions, rather than moving parts to capture the light and uses a lens optimised for the sensor, rather than the reverse.

Just my thoughts.

Rob

A camera which uses electronic functions, rather than moving parts to capture the light and uses a lens optimised for the sensor, rather than the reverse.

Is this not done to some degree now? Our typical P&S consumer digital cameras have digital shutters and an electronic iris. All functions are electronically controlled. The lens is made for the 1/3" or whatever format sensor the particular camera employs. Other than the shutter button and a couple of control switches, my little cool pics has no moving parts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back