What's new

105mm 2.8 Micro... VR or not?

mrpink

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
1,962
Reaction score
328
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to expand my "creative abilities" lens wise. I have my Sigma 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 as a "walk around" lens. I have my 50mm 1.8 indoor portrait lens. Now I want to go macro. Wide angle will be later on....

Looking around, I have found the Nikkor 105mm 2.8 Micro to be the "it" lens. My question is, does the VR option make it worth ~$300+ more? Are there any other differences in say image sharpness, build quality or AF IQ/speed? I would also be using this as a portrait lens along side the 50mm.

My budget is not tight, but I am not independently wealthy either- best bang for the buck comes to mind....





p!nK
 
To me, the VR is pretty much useless on this lens. Believe it or not, the closer you get to 1:1, the less effective the VR is. Why they did this, I have no idea, but you'd think that is where you'd want it most.
As far as focus, almost all people use manual focus for macro, so AF speed isn't really a concern there (or for portraits).
And with IQ, I'd put my older 105mm f/2.8 AF-D up against the new lens anytime, at half the price.
 
a small gorilla pod would probably be better than ~$300 for the VR function
 
For macro work, I think having a tripod would be the best bet for clear, sharp pictures. The VR feature is useless if you are going to use a tripod. Unless that is, you already have super duper steady hands.
 
forgot to mention in my original post, I have a great, very sturdy tripod and head setup.

I am thinking the VR is not needed, even if I use it for portrait. I have a decent lighting setup so slow shutter speeds are not going to be a factor (nothing sub 1/125s)

Do they still make the non-vr version? if not, is there anything I should look for, or watch out for in a used copy?

thanks for the input on this.




p!nK
 
i bought a 105mm 2.8D, the "older" version of the lens, and i love it!! Here is a link to the review. Definately worth the $450 i paid for it.

Nikon 105mm AF Micro
 
is the Sigma copy even something I should consider?




p!nK
 
I don't think VR is worth $300 for a macro lens. VR won't prevent the shake caused by your camera if you're shooting macro (since subject to camera distance is too close).

And I always use tripod for EVERY macro shot.
That said, why not try the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro instead? See review at Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro Review | Tamron Lens Review - it's as sharp as the Nikkor 105mm, no VR, lighter body and cost much less than the Nikkor

Another alternative would be the Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro if you don't need a very close working distance on your subject - Review at Tamron SP AF 60mm f/2 Di II LD (IF) 1:1 Macro Review | Tamron Lens Review
 
is the Sigma copy even something I should consider?


I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the Sigma, so that is a viable option, but I think I would still try to steer you towards the AF-D. One, I know the IQ that it is capable of, and I see good glass as much as an investment. You can pick up a VG copy of the AF-D for the price of the Sigma, and it will hold value much better in the long run.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom