10D or 300D?

Okay..thanks!

I have to agree with Mark. That is an outstanding pic, Danalec.
I think the more you use that 50mm lens, the more glad you'll be that you decided as you did. On your 10D, the 50mm is just about the perfect focal length for a portrait lens.

In 35mm, portrait lenses are usually 80-130mm, with 80-85 the accepted standard. The 50mm lens on your 10D works out to around 80-85mm equivalent.

Keep practicing. That shot shows a great natural eye, and a good bit of talented potential.

Thanks drlynn:)

drlynn, did you shoot your 'avatar'?

Can we do B&W on a 10D?

Its an area that I would love to explore!

Can we do B&W on a 10D?

Not right in the camera but it is very simple to do once it's off the camera and on the computer. In essence, every shot you take can be color or b&w.

The same is true with film as well. A lot of places will print color film in b&w if you ask them...of course true b&w film has it's own uniqueness.

Not right in the camera but it is very simple to do once it's off the camera and on the computer.

You mean PS?

Sure, Photo shop will work, I think desaturated is the method people use.

Just about any decent image software will have a convert to b&w tool.

Saturate = increase the color
Desaturate = decrease or remove the color

In photoshop it's in the image menu. Adjust, Hue/Sat, and you bring the sat slider down to 0.

This is not the best method however. The channel mixer gives you much more control.

danalec99 said:
drlynn, did you shoot your 'avatar'?

Yep. That's my oldest son, playing on a sliding board. Shot on Ilford XP2 400 in my Canon Rebel Ti.

And as for B7W conversion in Photoshop, Vonnagy did a great tutorial on that in the Graphics Program forum. Here's the link:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4760

His method is very similar to mine. I have found that it will be VERY rare that you want to raise the level of blue in your adjustments. It almost always makes the pic too dark and fuzzy.

Thanks drlynn, thats a beautiful shot of your son's.

And thanks, Jeff Cains, Digital Matt.

Its kind of sad to learn that one cannot take a b&w straight from a DSLR!!

Could someone suggest a neat photo printer?

Most reactions

Back