10D or 300D?

My recommendation would be to get used to the 50mm lens you ordered while you are reading and learning from Peterson's book. Once you understand focal length and aperture, you can decide if you want to get a zoom of a wide range but limited aperture, or primes with only one focal length and a wide aperture range, or a mix of each. I can give you a simple pat answer as to what lens I used where, but without knowing why I used it, that information is going to be very misleading.

You have time. It's not like you are going to be able to go out and shoot images like I have on my site tomorrow just because you are buying the same equipment as I am. Maybe you will be a faster learner than I am, but there is still a time investment to be made. Those images are the result of knowledge garnered from a lot of study and experience mixed with my own personal vision.

If you want to make images of a similar quality, then you need to spend the time to gain the experience needed to do so and then mix that with your own personal vision.

If you ask an experienced photographer what lens you should start off with, many of them will tell you a 50mm prime. Beginners hate it because they feel that it limits them, but just remember that you are starting out with a lens that many later wish they had decided to start with. They realize they would have learned faster if they had done so. If you can be patient, it will put you ahead of the game.

If you ask an experienced photographer what lens you should start off with, many of them will tell you a 50mm prime. Beginners hate it because they feel that it limits them, but just remember that you are starting out with a lens that many later wish they had decided to start with.

Which is exactly why I've ordered the 50mm/1.4.

I understand your views about investing in time, a combine my personal taste and all. You are talking about the art of photography. I understand that, and I intend to spend time on it. And I clearly am aware that I will NOT be able to shoot pictures like you have one day one :).

I'm not at all impatient, But I'm talking about a simple scenario, lets say a family get-together, (which I always have) or a long trip with my wife. On those occasions there will be a need to take a pictures like :
http://www.photogs.net/gallery/Practice/TheAllPurposeRoom
>a family room.

http://www.photogs.net/gallery/Landscapes/AtTheCorner
>city pictures

If you are looking for a lens that will let the 10D act like a point-and-shoot at times, the Canon 24-85mm looks like a good choice. That translates to 38-168mm on the 10D, which is a nice range. That isn't very wide on the low side, but that's hard to get on the 10D.

If you don't want to spend another $300, the 28-90 is under $100 right now at Adorama, but that translates into 45-144mm. That isn't very far into the wide-angle side of things, so doing indoor group shots and landscapes would be more limited, but not impossible.

Will the Tamron 28-800 do the same job?

danalec99 said:
Do you mean the 28-300? I've never used a Tamron lens, so I can't say anything about the company. That equals 45-480 on the 10D.

I don't know. That's why I was suggesting learning more about what lenses do before laying out that kind of cash. That lens goes further into the telephoto than the 24-85 and has a wider range in it's focal length, but the 24-85 has more of a wide-angle, even if it's only a little bit. The Tamron also has an aperture of only 6.3 when it's fullly out to 300. You won't be able to shorten the DOF as much.

Another option is to get both the 22-55 and the 75-300. They aren't the greatest quality, but they are cheap, and together they cover quite a range. Or you could get the wide angle first and wait and see if you really need the telephoto.

The picture of the kitchen is taken with my 22-55 on my 10D. The one of the city building is with my 85mm, but on my film camera. The 50mm on the 10D is equal to an 80mm, so that will be comparable. I've sold off my other two zooms (35-135 and 100-300). Right now all I own is the 22-55, which I use rarely, and the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8. Those two are my babies.

I was initially hesitant to post the pics online, since I'm aware of the amazing control that most of you weave here in the field of photography. I'm actually an infant in the field. But due to markc's request (which he had mentioned in our private messaging) let me post the link here.

www.fotki.com/zestfulpuma

album names are:

1. first day with the 10D
2. experiments with the 10D

Your honest comments/suggestions/constructive critisisms are sough for.

Thanks,
Daniel

danalec99 said:

For reference, here's two of the first shots I took using my 10D with the 28-300 Tamron lens, min and max zoom, full auto and lots of smog that day.

CNTPKmax.jpg

CNTPKmin.jpg

A lot of the images you have in there are neat and along the lines of what I expected to see. You are experimenting with DOF and different compositions and getting some interesting results. But this is the one I wanted to comment on:

IMG_0022-vi.jpg

This is not a shot I would have expected from a beginner. The mix on composition, DOF, etc., is all outstanding. On the left, her head is turned just enough to catch a glimps of her eyelashes, which are just barely in the frame; her eyes are perfectly placed in the mirror; her reflection, the fruit, and her hands are all in focus, but the background and her body in the foreground are nicely blurred. My eye travels from her reflection, to her hand, to her profile, and back to her face again, so I tend to linger on the image, rather than get bored and move on.

This is exactly the kind of image that shows why I like to recommend prime lenses. You would not have been able to get this shallow of a DOF with a zoom lens. You don't always need it, but here it worked perfectly and you wouldn't have been able to get this shot without it.

I may have to eat my words regarding tech growing faster than peoples' skills. Getting the 10D over the 300D could turn out to be a very wise choice.

This is really well done, D. Congrats!

mrsid99 wrote:

For reference, here's two of the first shots I took using my 10D with the 28-300 Tamron lens, min and max zoom, full auto and lots of smog that day.

Thats some power zoom!! Its good, but I would be more interested in capturing a particular object/person among the crowd. Got to try out the Tamron 28-300 that I got today!

I'm sorry Mark, but you have to let me know what DOF is:).

This is not a shot I would have expected from a beginner. The mix on composition, DOF, etc., is all outstanding.

Its truly an honor to hear a comment of this sort from you. I had a long tiring day, but this defenitely did make my day!!:)

Thanks!

50mm is not a lens.... Its a phenomenon!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back