150$ to spend..

Stacylouwho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone.. I am going to take some graduation pics of a friend graduating from dental hygiene program. She has already set up professional pics through the school. This is more for me to practice with than anything. I will not be getting paid, just trying it out. I have a canon t3i, 50 mm 1.8 a 55-250 mm and a kit lens. That's it, no external flash or anything else...I have about 150 to spend and I really want to get LR as I don't have a good editing software. Do you think this would be a good use of the money at the moment?

Yes, and don't forget to shoot in raw so you can take advantage of LR.

You will find LR so useful. There is a bit of a learning curve so read up before diving in ..... look up Laura Shoe as she has some very good information and is easy to listen to. There is a LR forum which is a great source for help.

You will find LR so useful. There is a bit of a learning curve so read up before diving in ..... look up Laura Shoe as she has some very good information and is easy to listen to. There is a LR forum which is a great source for help.
Awesome.. thank you!!

Lightroom has 7 modules:
• Library
• Develop
• Map
• Book
• Slideshow
• Print
• Web

The Develop module is the one used for editing. The Develop module is a Raw image file converter and Adobe uses the same Raw image file converter in Elements 11, CS 6 Camera Raw, and the Develop module.
The Raw image file converter is Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). The current version is ACR 7.

Elements 11 ($70) is consumer grade software and has a de-featured version of ACR, an image Organizer (browser), and many of the same tools and functions the pro grade CS 6 has.
Elements Organizer can be used to make slideshows, prints, web stuff, etc.
Adobe Camera Raw differences between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

With the rest of your $150 you could get a 3rd party speedlite for your camera too.
Yongnuo Flash Speedlite Yn-460ii for Nikon Canon Pentax

Adobe software doesn't come with a hard copy user's manual, but has online instruction/resources for use.
With Elements, Lightroom, or CS 6 open, clicking on the Help > Elements/Lightroom/Photoshop Help tab or just pressing the keyboard F1 key accesses those resources.
There is also Adobe TV, Elements Village - Powered by vBulletin, and other resources independent from Adobe.

Lightroom does not manage image files in the way you are used to, unless you're familiar with database management software.
At any rate, there is guidance for learning to efficiently manage you digital images - The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

Having a comprehensive reference handy is often better than relying on the scattered bits and pieces found on the Internet.
So I often recommend the book - The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
For Elements 11 - The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ABSOLUTELY!!! There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to use it. I had mine for about 6 months before I felt really comfortable using it and I only know about 10% of the software's capabilities. I'd say it's pretty user friendly and can work wonders on your images.

Lightroom has 7 modules:
• Library
• Develop
• Map
• Book
• Slideshow
• Print
• Web

The Develop module is the one used for editing. The Develop module is a Raw image file converter and Adobe uses the same Raw image file converter in Elements 11, CS 6 Camera Raw, and the Develop module.
The Raw image file converter is Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). The current version is ACR 7.

Elements 11 ($70) is consumer grade software and has a de-featured version of ACR, an image Organizer (browser), and many of the same tools and functions the pro grade CS 6 has.
Elements Organizer can be used to make slideshows, prints, web stuff, etc.
Adobe Camera Raw differences between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

With the rest of your $150 you could get a 3rd party speedlite for your camera too.
Yongnuo Flash Speedlite Yn-460ii for Nikon Canon Pentax

Adobe software doesn't come with a hard copy user's manual, but has online instruction/resources for use.
With Elements, Lightroom, or CS 6 open, clicking on the Help > Elements/Lightroom/Photoshop Help tab or just pressing the keyboard F1 key accesses those resources.
There is also Adobe TV, Elements Village - Powered by vBulletin, and other resources independent from Adobe.

Lightroom does not manage image files in the way you are used to, unless you're familiar with database management software.
At any rate, there is guidance for learning to efficiently manage you digital images - The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

Having a comprehensive reference handy is often better than relying on the scattered bits and pieces found on the Internet.
So I often recommend the book - The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
For Elements 11 - The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
Thanks! That is interesting.. I still have to do a lot of research on flashes but i wan't one that I can use on camera and off! Is there such a thing? see I really have to look into it. I wouldn't even know how to use it if I had one lol

ABSOLUTELY!!! There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to use it. I had mine for about 6 months before I felt really comfortable using it and I only know about 10% of the software's capabilities. I'd say it's pretty user friendly and can work wonders on your images.
Okay, I am excited to use it!

Yes times ten.

Anyone have any info. on the best place to order from.. cheapest price? I wish I was still a student!!

Last edited:
Don't you have to have windows xp or later to run lightroom?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back